The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Lyme Regis, Dorset
The former Congregational Church on Coombe Street, now a museum. Approx. SY 341 923. © Steve Bulman (2010).
Two identical Mortuary Chapels stand in in Lyme Regis Cemetery on Charmouth Road. The Church of England Chapel one appears to still be in use, but the Non-Conformist Chapel appears to be used for storage. The former was built in 1856 - in all likelihood the other was built at the same time. In any event, both show on the OS map of 1889. SY 342 927. Both © Richard Roberts (2016).
St. Michael the Archangel. SY 343 922. © Gary Cook. Interior view, from an old postcard in Christopher Skottowe's Collection. Two further interior views - 1, 2, and the porch, all © Steve Bulman (2010). Architecturally confusing, but Pevsner explains that instead of knocking down the medieval church when a later one was built, they re-used the old central crossing as the west tower, and the original nave is now the porch. Another view, the pulpit and tester, and font, all © Dennis Harper (2011). Link.
21 June 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details