The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Congregational Chapel (1828) on Brook Side, now in use as an Banqueting venue. It closed as a church in 1908 when the congregation moved to another building on Frederick Street and Heathcoat Street. Subsequently marked on old maps as Colleges (1961) and Masonic Hall (1967-75). When the Mason's moved out is not at present known. Another view. SK 5347 1972. Both © Howard Richter (2017). A history of the church is available to buy here. Grade II listed.
Loughborough Cemetery Chapels (1857), on Leicester Road. SK 543 182. © Richard Roberts (2013).
St. Mary (R.C.) on Ashby Road. A handsome neo-classical building, dating from 1833-4, it was greatly enlarged in the 1920's. Another view. SK 530 197. Both © Howard Richter (2014). Link. Grade II listed.
St. Peter (1910-12) on Storer Road was made redundant in 2006, and re-opened in 2013 as an Elim Pentecostal Church and Open Heaven Church partnership. Another view. Visible at the left of the first image in this entry is the Mission Church which preceded St. Peter, and is today part of St. Peter's Centre. SK 529 198. © Howard Richter (2014). Link, and history of acquisition and refurbishment (Elim). Link (Open Heaven). News item. Grade II listed.
Soon to be a Salvation Army Church and Community Centre, this building on Burleigh Road was originally Ashby Road Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, and was until recently an Elim Church, before their move to St. Peter (see above). The building date is uncertain: there appears to have been a date-stone just below the gable, but it has been obscured or removed. From map evidence, it seems to have been built between 1885 and 1903. The Elim Church bought the building in 1964. Two additional views - 1, 2. SK 530 197. All © Howard Richter (2014).
21 June 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details