The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Levenshulme, Manchester, Greater Manchester
Body of Christ Church on Stockport Road. SJ 874 941. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Christ Embassy Church on Park Grove. SJ 873 947. © Mike Berrell (2015).
The former Levenshulme Congregational Church (early 1860s), and later U.R.C. In recent years the building has been regenerated as Levenshulme Inspire United Reformed Church which has mixed use including Sunday worship. SJ 874 946. © Mike Berrell (2011). Interior view, © Mike Berrell (2015). Link.
St. Aidan (Orthodox Christian), on Clare Road and Henderson St. Consecrated in 1996, this building had previously been a U.R.C. Church (Presbyterian/Congregational). The community of St. Aidan had previously been using rented rooms. SJ 870 941. © Mike Berrell. Link.
St. Andrew, on Stockport Rd., was closed in 1988, and replaced in the same year by a new church on Broom Avenue (see below). SJ 877 933. © Mike Berrell.
St. Mary of the Angels and St. Clare on Elbow St. SJ 875 940. Internal view. Both © Mike Berrell. The original church (demolished) stood on Clare Road. Interior view. Both reproduced by kind permission of George Nixon (website http://www.levyboy.com/).
The former Tin Chapel on Mercer Street. The photo was taken in 1959, by which time the chapel was in secular use. Reproduced from "Levenshulme Then and Now" by kind permission of George Nixon. SJ 875 942.
The former United Methodist Free Church on Alma Road. Reproduced from "Levenshulme Then and Now" by kind permission of George Nixon. SJ 874 940.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Chapel Street. Dating from 1797, it no longer exists. Reproduced from "Levenshulme Then and Now" by kind permission of George Nixon. SJ 875 942.
17 February 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details