The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Leith, City of Edinburgh
Baptist Church on Madeira Street. Built 1884-5, it was the second Baptist Church on the site, having been preceded by a tin tabernacle of 1875. Two additional views - 1, 2, the latter also showing North Leith Church in the background. © Howard Richter (2013). Link. Grade C (S) listed.
The soon-to-be-demolished Citadel Salvation Army Hall (2007). © Rob Brettle.
The site on Ferry Road where North Leith Free Church once stood is now occupied by St. Nicholas Court - a sheltered housing development. The spire of the Parish Church can be seen at right. It was preceded by an earlier church of 1844 on the corner of Coburg Street and North Junction Street, at about NT 265 765. The replacement church (i.e. the subject of this entry) opened in 1859. Known as St. Nicholas from 1929, and St. Ninian's Ferry Road from 1962, it was sold in 1985. See here for a fuller history. There is an extremely distant view of the church here - silhouetted against the water near the left hand edge is a tall chimney. Going right a little way are two spires, the left-most is the parish church, the next the Free Church. NT 263 764. © Howard Richter (2013). Link.
North Leith Parish Church (1813-16, CoS) on Madeira Street. It replaced the earlier parish church, St. Ninian, which stood on Quayside Street at about NT 268 765, a photo of which (or at least, of the manse) is available here on the RCHMS website. Another view. NT 263 765. Both © Howard Richter (2013). Link - see also their interesting history page. Grade A listed.
South Leith Parish Church on Kirkgate. The site has a long history, but the present church dates from 1847-8. Pevsner is less than complimentary, describing it as "stodgy". NT 270 760. Link1. Link2. Also visible is the reduced spire of the disused St. James (Episcopal), and better seen here. Both © Steve Bulman (2015).
The former U.R.C. on Duke Street, demolished in 2005. Alastair advises that the new building (flats) will incorporate a new church building on the ground floor. © Alastair Cameron.
01 September 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details