The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Leadgate, County Durham   

Leadgate on Wikipedia.
 

Bradley Cottages Methodist Chapel on Pont Street. This was Primitive Methodist. NZ 123 527. Dave Foreman.

Methodist Chapel on Tyne Avenue at NZ 125 519. Dave Foreman.

St. Ives on St. Ives Road. NZ 1300 5185. Dave Foreman. Another view, Bill Henderson.

Our Lady and Joseph (R.C.) at Brooms. NZ 137 521. Dave Foreman.

Howard Richter advises of four additional churches. The Co-op on Front Street is a former Wesleyan Methodist Church. It pre-dates the 1859 O.S. map. NZ 1252 5165. It can be seen here on Google Maps streetview. A Primitive Methodist Chapel stood on Watling Street at NZ 1251 5182. It post-dates the 1896 O.S. map, was still extant for the 1938 map, and the site can be seen here
There were two Wesleyan chapels in the nearby (and now vanished) hamlet of Derwent Cottages. The earlier stood at about NZ 1138 5281, and pre-dates the 1862 map. Still shown on the 1896-8 map, it was succeeded by 1921 by the second chapel at about NZ 1142 5280. This is still shown on the 1963 map, but it, and all of the cottages in the hamlet had gone by the time of the 1989 map. The site of this second chapel can be seen here - its predecessor stood almost opposite.

 

 

Home

01 September 2018

Steve Bulman

Contact Details