The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Additional information regarding Lancaster Methodist Churches (in italics)
courtesy of Peter Brophy. See also
Churches in Scotforth.
Baptist Church. © Steve Bulman.
Brock Street Methodist Church, now an Indian restaurant, was the Evangel Temple (Pentecostal) before it closed as a church in 1986. Thanks to Kevin Price for the former status. © Elaine Hindson.
Chapel in Lancaster Crematorium. © Elaine Hindson.
Former Chapel (R.C.) in Dalton Square, now Palatine Hall, used by the Council. The house next door was the scene of the murders of the infamous Dr. Ruxton. © Elaine Hindson.
Chapel in the grounds of St. Martin's College. © Mrs. Janet Dalby.
Chaplaincy Centre at Lancaster University. © Dr. Richard Ion.
Christ Church, on Wyresdale Road. SD 485 615. © Elaine Hindson.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. © Elaine Hindson.
Church of the Nazarene Evangelical Church, dated 1928 over the door. © Elaine Hindson.
Exclusive Brethren Meeting Room. © Tim Flitcroft (2012).
Free Methodist Church, Queen Street. © Elaine Hindson.
The Friary, formerly the Centenary Congregational Church, which closed in the 1960's. Thanks to Kevin Price for clarifying the history of this church. © Steve Bulman.
Friends Meeting House (Quakers) on Meeting House Lane. Quakers have worshipped on this site since 1677 (when George Fox preached here), though the present building dates from 1708, and has since been enlarged. SD 472 616. © Mrs. Janet Dalby.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. © Elaine Hindson.
King's Community Church, formerly the Rifle Volunteer Drill Hall. © Elaine Hindson.
The former Marsh Methodist Church (now a Steiner School). © Elaine Hindson.
Moor Hospital Church. Originally a church in the grounds of the Moor Hospital (now demolished), it now serves as offices. © Elaine Hindson.
Our Lady Queen of Poland (R.C.), formerly an Independent Methodist Church (thanks to Kevin Price for the former status). SD 480 615. © Steve Bulman.
The former St. Anne, now a theatre. © Elaine Hindson.
St. Bernadette (R.C.), at Bowerham. © Elaine Hindson.
St. Mary, more properly the Priory Church of St. Mary. The tower. SD 473 619. Both © Steve Bulman. Another view. © Elaine Hindson. Interior view, and the choir stalls, both © John Balaam (2009). Two further interior views - 1, 2, the chapels in the south and north aisles, the font, and a fragment of an ancient cross, all © Steve Bulman (2012). Grade I listed - link.
Salvation Army, Bulk Road. © Elaine Hindson.
Spiritualist Church. © Elaine Hindson.
The former Sulyard Street Wesleyan Methodist Church, now partly flats. The former schoolrooms (which are shown in the foreground of the photo) are now used as the church. © Elaine Hindson.
Trinity U.R.C., on the High Street. © Elaine Hindson.
Trinity U.R.C. at Bowerham. © Elaine Hindson.
Former Unitarian Church (up for sale when photographed). SD 480 593. © Philip Kapp.
31 October 2015
© Steve BulmanContact Details