The Churches of Britain and Ireland

Keswick, Cumbria

Keswick on Wikipedia.
 

The former Bethesda Chapel (Christian Brethren) on High Street. NY 2678 2325. © Philip Kapp. Another view. The date-stone above the door reads "Bethesda Free Chapel 1851". It now appears to be in residential use. © Steve Bulman (2012).

Gospel Hall on St. John's Street. NY 2677 2332. © Steve Bulman (2012). 2021 news item about the closure and sale of the building.

Keswick Convention Centre (Keswick Ministries, Evangelical) on Skiddaw Street. Circa NY 2717 2342. © Steve Bulman (2012). Link.

The Kings Church has previously met at the Rawnsley Centre on Main Street. Circa NY 264 236. © Steve Bulman (2012). They now meet in St Herbertís Primary School on Trinity Way. It can be seen here on a 2009 Streetview. Circa NY 2749 2364. Link.

Lake Road Chapel (Evangelical and Congregational, originally Congregational). The congregation was founded in 1654. The present chapel dates from 1858-9, a re-build of an earlier chapel on the same site of 1803 (source). NY 2668 2331. © Steve Bulman. Another view, © Alan Blacklock, and another from 2022, © Rob Kinnon-Brettle. Link.

Methodist Church on Southey Street. Built as Wesleyan in 1863, it replaced an earlier chapel of 1814 on a different (and so far unidentified) site (source). NY 2681 2341. © Dave Westrap. Another view, © Rob Kinnon-Brettle (2022). Link.

Methodist Church on Tithebarn Street, originally Primitive Methodist (1869). NY 2637 2353. © Dave Westrap. Link.

Orthodox Community of St. Bega, St. Mungo and St. Herbert, just off Victoria Street. Circa NY 267 235. © Steve Bulman (2012). Link.

Our Lady of the Lakes and St. Charles (R.C.) on High Hill. NY 2611 2397. © Dave Westrap. Link.

St. John the Evangelist on St. John's Street. NY 2679 2319. © Steve Bulman. Another view, © Philip Kapp. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection. Another view, and the interior, both © Rob Kinnon-Brettle Link. Grade B listed.

The building now in use as Keswick Seniors Club on Heads Road is a former Salvation Army Church. NY 2640 2353. © Rob Kinnon-Brettle (2022). They are also known to have had premises on Limepots Road. Can you advise exactly where this was?

Society of Friends (Quaker) on Elliott Park, which opened in 1994. NY 2622 2358. © Steve Bulman. Link. An early Friends' Meeting House was in what is now Quaker Cottage, on Crosthwaite Road. It can be seen here on a 2015 Streetview. NY 2618 2393.

 

 

Home

24 June 2023

© Steve Bulman

Contact Details