The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Burns Street Independent Chapel, now converted to residential use. © Janet Gimber (2017).
Christ Church on Vicarage Road, Cotmanhay. It replaced an older church on Church Street and Vicarage Road, Cotmanhay, which had to be demolished because of subsidence. The site has been left as a small park. Both © Janet Gimber (2017). Link.
Cotmanhay Baptist Church on Norman Street. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former Cotmanhay Wesleyan Methodist Church, on Cotmanhay Road, has been converted into flats. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former Ebenezer Methodist Church on Charlotte Street and Heanor Road. When Janet took her photo, the building was being offered for sale. © Janet Gimber (2017).
Elim Christian Centre on Charlotte Street. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former General Baptist Church (1784) on South Street. The Baptists stopped using this building in the late 1850's, and has subsequently been home to Elim Pentecostal Church and The Church of the Nazarene (and possibly others), but is currently in secular use. It was succeeded by the Queen Street General Baptist Church (see below). © Janet Gimber (2017).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Church Street, Cotmanhay. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The site of the demolished Primitive Methodist Chapel by the roundabout on Bridge Street and Cotmanhay Road. Apparently closed in 1963, it was demolished soon after. © Janet Gimber (2017).
St. Andrew's Methodist Church on Wilmot Street. The footprint of the new church covers the site of the demolished Bath Street Primitive Methodist Church. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former Salvation Army Citadel on Chapel Street. Originally built as Ilkeston Mission Hall in 1879, the Army had taken up occupancy by the time of the 1915 O.S. map. This was being offered for sale in 2017. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The site of the South Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. A Job Centre now stands here. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former Stamford Street Methodist Church is now in commercial use. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The Christian Community, Malin House, on St. Mary Street. © Janet Gimber (2017).
The former Unitarian Church on Anchor Row. It shows on a 1959 map as a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. © Janet Gimber (2017).
05 November 2017
© Steve BulmanContact Details