The Churches of Britain and Ireland
including Hoyland Common and Nether Hoyland, South Yorkshire.
The former Christchurch (Methodist) was built on Hoyland Road in 1894 as Wesleyan, a re-build of an earlier chapel of 1861. It seems to have been active into the late 1950's at least. SE 3575 0022. © David Regan (2021).
A Chapel is shown on old maps on Market Street, at SE 3734 0062. The O.S. grid reference on Genuki identifies it as this Market Street chapel, and as Methodist, and includes a photo. Unfortunately, neither Genuki or O.S. maps specify which flavour of Methodism it was, but it pre-dates a map of 1905, and survived as a church into the 1950's at least. A photo on Geograph is available here, where it's described as Wesleyan, and an old photo from circa 1960 can be seen here. A shop now stands on the site, seen here by Streetview in 2021. Earlier Streetviews show that the building survived until 2014, and had gone by July 2016. Was this St. Paul's Methodist? (see also St. Paul's Wesleyan Church below).
The former Mission Church stands at the junction of Hoyland Road and Tinker Lane, at SE 3571 0025. Pre-dating a map of 1905, it's now a community centre. © David Regan (2021).
A small and unprepossessing (former?) Mortuary Chapel has a date-stone for 1935, and stands in the cemetery on Kirk Balk. SE 3648 0080. © David Regan (2021).
The Primitive Methodists had at least two other places of worship. The first opened in Tinker Lane in 1866 (source), where Tranmoor Court is today, and seems to have gone out of use around the turn of the 19th-20th centuries. Circa SE 3564 0030. By 1903 they had moved to a new chapel which stood at the junction of Hoyland Road and Stead Lane, at SE 3589 0029, and it remained in use until at least the late 1950's. Its site has been put down to grass. Both © David Regan (2021).
St. Paul's Wesleyan Church is mentioned in a document from 1940, and this document mentions a St. Paul's Methodist as having been built in 1809. Unfortunately neither provides a precise location. However, a map of 1850 shows a Wesleyan Chapel on Market Street at SE 3726 0070, where a Methodist Church still stands. Can you confirm that this is St. Paul's? See also the Chapel entry above.
Another demolished United Methodist stood on King Street and Bethel Street, which suggests that the chapel may have been Bethel too. Flats now stand on the site. This source (scroll down) advises of closure in the 1960's. SE 3755 0058. © David Regan (2021).
21 January 2022
© Steve Bulman