The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Hinckley, Leicestershire

Hinckley on Wikipedia.
 

Baptist Church (1806-7) on Baptist Walk. Another view. SP 428 941. Both Howard Richter (2014). History here, with photos showing the radical alterations carried out in 1921, partly to serve as a Was Memorial.

Holy Trinity (1909-10) on Trinity Vicarage Road. Three additional views - 1, 2, 3, and the bell. SP 423 929. All Howard Richter (2015). Link. Grade II listed. As Howard points out, the writer of the listing seems to have gone astray with his comments regarding aisles. It says that a south aisle was built, but the north aisle (and tower) never added. However, the first photo in this entry shows the north side of the church (with aisle), and the third additional photo shows the south side, and a stub-wall immediately right of the door, where the south aisle would have been added. There's no doubt, however, that the tower was never built.

Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Derby Road. It pre-dates 1981, when planning permission was granted for an extension. SP 4292 9431. Howard Richter (2015).

Methodist Church on Albert Road, built as Primitive Methodist in 1884. The doorway is rather handsome, in the Norman style. This link (scroll down) shows how the window was radically altered, in 1922. At some time (presumably after the unification of 1932) the name-stone was truncated (compare with the old photo on the link), probably having had "Primitive" cut off. SP 428 943. All Howard Richter (2014).

St. Mary. Interior view. Both John Balaam (2012). Link. Grade II* listed.

The site of the demolished St. Paul (1911 to "about 1994"), which stood on Leicester Road at SP 432 943. Howard Richter (2014). This link has some history, and photos.

St. Peter (R.C., 1992-3) on Leicester Road. Another view. According to the history here (scroll down), this is the fifth Catholic church in Hinckley, the earliest dating from 1765. It also includes several photos of the earlier churches. SP 431 942. Both Howard Richter (2014). Link.

The Great Meeting Unitarian Chapel (1722) on Baine's Lane. Three additional views - 1, 2, 3. All Howard Richter (2015). Link. Grade II* listed.

Trinity Lane Christian Church (Fellowship of Churches of Christ) on Trinity Lane and Canning Street. The brick built chapel came first, in 1904, though the congregation met in a rented room in the town from 1899; the nearer wooden building was added in the 1920's. Originally a splinter from the Scotch Baptist Church, a brief history of the church can be found here. SP 4245 9410. All Howard Richter (2015). Link1. Link2.
 

 

 

 
 

Home

30 October 2015

Steve Bulman

Contact Details