The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Baptist Church on Bury Road. SD 785 235. © Nigel Birch.
Cave Adullam (Particular Baptist) dates from 1859. © Nigel Birch.
The former St. Stephen (1920's) at Holden Wood is now an antiques centre. It is the successor to a Mission Church on a different site nearby. SD 774 226. © Philip Kapp. This link has a little history. Thanks to Janet Gimber for the identification. Janet suspects from the wording on the link, and additional map research, that the church was physically moved from another site. The inhabitants (and church) appear to have been moved to allow the building of a reservoir.
Independent Methodist Church on Beaconsfield Street. © Nigel Birch (1965).
Irwell Vale Methodist Church on Bowker Street, Irwell Vale. SD 789 201. © Nigel Birch.
Methodist Church, dedicated in 1857. SD 787 230. © Philip Kapp.
New Jerusalem Church on Bury Road. © Nigel Birch. The old church on John Street is now in secular use. The inscription above the door of the old church reads "New Jerusalem Church A.D. 1890". © Nigel Birch. Another view, © Mike Berrell (2016).
The demolished Trinity Baptist Church on Blackburn Road. The site is now covered by the market. From the collection of © Nigel Birch.
U.R.C. on Regent Street. The congregation moved here when the old Congregational church was demolished. SD 785 235. Photo © Nigel Birch, and the old photo from his collection. Mike Berrell advises that this closed in 2013 (news item).
The long-demolished Wesleyan Chapel at Haslingden Grane; its graveyard remains. From the collection of © Nigel Birch.
02 November 2016
© Steve BulmanContact Details