The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Great Moor, Stockport,
First Church of Christ, Scientist on Cherry Tree Lane. © Mike Berrell.
St. Saviour (CoE) on Buxton Road opened in 1918. Interior view. SJ 912 880. Both © Mike Berrell. The following images are reproduced by kind permission of the Vicar, the Revd. Canon Diane V. Cookson. The font is most unusual - carved in marble, the shell-shaped bowl rests on a pillar rising out of rocks "the water of new life on the rock of ages". The present church was preceded by two others. Great Moor Episcopal Chapel and School opened in 1851, and stood just in front of the present church. The second church, dedicated to St. Saviour, opened in 1894 on Store Street (SD 911 880). Link.
21 June 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details