The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Gorton, Manchester, Greater Manchester
The former All Saints (1876 - 1964) on Blackwin Street, now demolished. Photo courtesy of Mike Berrell; it's believed to be from a church magazine ca. 1926. SJ 875 967.
Brookfield Unitarian Chapel (1872) on Hyde Road. Interior view. SJ 889 959. Both © Mike Berrell. An old drawing, © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
Calvary Family Church (1st floor), above the Gorton Sports and Social Club. On Cross Lane, the building was formerly the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, dating from 1866. © Mike Berrell. Link. Mike has advised (2013) that the church moved from here in 2008, spending three years at Martin Luther King House, then moving again in 2011 to Bairstow Senior Citizens Club on Rupert Street in Reddish, Stockport.
The Cemetery Chapels at Gorton Cemetery. SJ 892 953. © Mike Berrell. These were demolished in 2009 to make way for Remembrance Gardens, though part of the chapel wall was retained, and now has this plaque affixed to it. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Christ World and Clergy Ministries on Clowes Street. SJ 866 967. © Mike Berrell (2011).
Gorton Evangelical Church on Hyde Road (previously Hyde Road United Methodist Free Church). The Lord's Prayer carved in wood by Pte. 3417 Robert White in 1914. Interior view. SJ 886 960. All © Mike Berrell (2009).
Grace City Church - see Manchester City Chapel, below.
Mount Olivet Apostolic Church on Mount Road was previously Lady of Mercy and St. Thomas of Canterbury (R.C.,1925-2000). SJ 881 953. © Mike Berrell (2006). Grade II listed. Mike has advised that this is currently (2015) up for sale (notice). Grade II listed.
The former St. Francis of Assisi (Franciscan R.C., Gorton Monastery ) on Gorton Lane, with dates 1872 - 1989. Now run as a trust with the aim of restoring the building to its former glory. SJ 876 969. Two interior views, 1, 2. All © Mike Berrell. Link.
St. James, CoE and Methodist, on Church Lane and Cambert Lane. Originally its dedication was to St. Thomas. SJ 886 964. © Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the list of incumbents which goes back to 1547, all © Mike Berrell (2015). This old photo of St. Thomas (1755-1871), and painting hang in the church, along with another showing that both churches stood together for a short while before the old church was demolished. All reproduced by kind permission of the church warden, and the photos are © Mike Berrell (2015). Link.
An interior view of the long-demolished St. Mark, which stood on Clowes Street from 1862 to 1974. SJ 869 967. Photo from an old magazine of the early 1900's, Mike Berrell's Collection.
St Philip (1909) on
Brookhurst Road. In front stands an Edward VII-vintage pillarbox.
Victory Charismatic Chapel also meet here. Two interior views -
2, and the
foundation stone. SJ
88623 95772. All © Mike Berrell (2015).
Former Salvation Army hall on Knutsford Road, now in industrial use. The only original fabric remaining is the brickwork. © Rob Brettle.
Shalom Christian Church on Chapman Street. SJ 888 964. © Mike Berrell (2011).
The former Wellington Street Methodist Church now serves as Collier House, a Methodist Centre belonging to St. James. SJ 886 964. © Mike Berrell.
21 June 2018
© Steve Bulman