The Churches of Britain and Ireland
East and Old Church of Scotland (1790). Another view. See also the entry for East Free Church (below). NO 45712 50590. Both © Peter Morgan (2014). Another view, © Jane M. B. Scott, showing the steeply sloping graveyard. Grade B listed.
The site of the demolished Forfar Baptist Church (1876) on Manor Street. Also used for many years by the Brethren, they continued after the Baptist congregation left, because of falling numbers. The Brethren carried on until forced to leave when the building became unsafe, and it was demolished in the 1980's. The church itself can be seen in this old photo, from "History of the Baptists in Scotland", by George Yuille, published in 1926. NO 4553 50802. Both © Jane M. B. Scott.
The former East Free Church (1852). In 1901 it became East United Free Church, and Church of Scotland in 1929. It became surplus to requirements in 1978 when the congregation joined with the parish church, at which time it acquired its present name of East and Old Church of Scotland. It was subsequently used as a doctors surgery, but has since been converted into flats. NO 45827 50771. © Jane M. B. Scott.
The demolished Forfar First Free Church on New Road. Built soon after the disruption in 1843, it was used until about 1880 when the congregation moved into a new and larger church (see St. Margaret below). It was subsequently used as a drill hall, and demolished circa 1960. NO 45537 50474. From an old postcard in © Jane M. B. Scott's Collection
The former Roman Catholic Chapel on High Street. Having previously been a Masonic Lodge, the Catholics moved in in about 1940, until the mid 1960's when they moved to newly-built premises. From the early 1970's until 1992 it was a Bible Baptist Church. It is now flats. NO 45870 50666. © Jane M. B. Scott (2017).
The former St. James (CoS, 1836) was built as a chapel of ease for Forfar Parish Church. It has been empty since a merger with West Church in 1977 (and for which, see St. Margaret, below). The Hall is in use as a gym. NO 45833 50554. © Jane M. B. Scott.
What is now St. Margaret (and formerly West Church of Scotland), was re-named following the merger with St. James, above, but it was originally First Free Church, built circa 1880. © Peter Morgan (2014). Another view, © Jane M. B. Scott.
The former Secession Chapel (ca. 1780- ca. 1844). NO 46067 50696. © Jane M. B. Scott.
The former United Presbyterian Church (ca. 1844 - ca. 1920), now in commercial use. It was successor to the Secession Chapel, above. NO 45367 50578. © Peter Morgan (2014). A plaque on a pillar shows that it's part of the town heritage trail. © Jane M. B. Scott.
01 September 2018
© Steve Bulman