The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Cowgate Free Church (1859-60), now a nightclub. Has also been a theatre. © Janet Gimber (2012).
The former Edinburgh Canongate Salvation Army Hall, now the Museum of Childhood, on the Royal Mile. © Rob Brettle.
Holyrood Free Church (now a gallery). © Steve Bulman.
The former Lady Yester's Church (1805) on Infirmary Street, now used by the university as its carpentry division. It stands near to the site of the original church (1647) which was built on the site of the Blackfriar's Monastery. The 1647 building was damaged by Cromwell's army in 1650. Janet suspects that the building at the left of the photo was a New Jerusalem Church - can you confirm? © Janet Gimber (2012). Link.
Magdalen Chapel on Cowgate. Built in 1541 as an almshouse and guild chapel, it is now the HQ of the Scottish Reformation Society (link). Restored in 1992-3. Interior view. The panels around the walls records gifts of charity. All © Janet Gimber (2012). Link1. Link2.
The former Martyr's United Free CHurch on George IV Bridge, now a pub. © Janet Gimber (2012).
New North Free Church (now a theatre). © Steve Bulman.
Old St. Paul (Episcopal), Jeffrey St. © Bill Henderson.
The former Robertson Memorial Church, now in secular use. © Steve Bulman.
A distant view of the long ruinous St. Anthony's Chapel at NT 2755 7370, above St. Margaret's Loch. © Howard Richter (2013). Link1. Link2. A sketch (on the Tate website) by Turner dated 1834 shows it little different to how it appears today.
The former St. Francis (R.C.) on Lothian Street. Now Jericho House, a care home run by the Jericho Benedictine Society. According to Pevsner, the frontage dates from 1834, though the church itself dates from a re-build of 1937. © Janet Gimber (2012).
St. Patrick (R.C.) on Cowgate. © Steve Bulman.
Former Salvation Army Slum Post on Johnston Terrace (the blue door and the floor above the Castle Arms). © Rob Brettle. Rob advises that this is a rare survival - most Slum Posts having been demolished along with the slums they were designed to serve.
The former Tolbooth Church (1842-5) on Castlehill. Designed by J. G. Graham, and A. W. N. Pugin, it was built as Victoria Hall to house the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland meetings, and as a church for the Tolbooth congregation. It ceased to be used by the General Assembly in 1929 but continued in use as a church. From 1956 until the 1980's it was known as the Highland Tolbooth St. John's Church. Now used as offices and a cafe, and for performances during the Edinburgh Festival, it was re-named "The Hub" in 1999. © Bill Henderson. Another view, © Janet Gimber (2012). Link.
The United Augustine Church on George IV Bridge. © Bill Henderson. This must surely be the same church as that listed in Pevsner as Augustine Bristo Congregational Church.
The Vennel, the former Salvation Army Hall in Grassmarket, is now part of the Edinburgh School of Art. © Rob Brettle.
This former church building is on Holyrood Road. Jean Walker advised that it has a plaque on it identifying it as the "Old Kirk". Glen Jones has further added that it is also known as the Great Kirk, and was built in 1881 for a congregation which had previously used St. Giles. It ceased use as a church in 1944, when the church and its adjacent hall were purchased by Moray House (part of Edinburgh University) who converted it to use as the Music and Educational Handwork departments in 1949. It has also served to house Moray House's Building Services, but has stood empty for some years.
15 February 2018
© Steve Bulman