The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Eastbourne, East Sussex

Eastbourne on Wikipedia.


All Saints, on Grange Rd. Formerly CoE, now Evangelical Anglican. TV 604 978. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection, postally dated 1906. Link.

All Saints Chapel, part of the former All Saints Convalescent Hospital on Susans Road. Built circa 1851, it is currently closed, awaiting redevelopment. TV 602 974. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection.

All Souls (CoE) on Susans Road, was built in 1882. TV 613 993. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection. A modern view. Graeme Harvey.

Former Baptist Church (now flats) in Ceylon Place dates from 1871. Although bombed in 1943, it re-opened some 5 years later. TV 617 992. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection, postally dated 1908. A modern view. Graeme Harvey.

Central Methodist Church. Victor Hunter. Another view. Graeme Harvey.

Christ Church at Seaside was built in 1859, and patronised by Princess Alice when in Eastbourne. TV 621 997. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection, postally dated 1906.

Church of God - Worldwide Mission, postally dated 1908. A modern view.

The former Congregational Church which stood in Cavendish Place. This church was closed in 1973, and the funds raised from its sale were given to St. Barnabas in Langney, Eastbourne. It was demolished in 1977. TV 615 992. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection, postally used 1908.

Holy Trinity at Trinity Trees. Built in 1838 as the Trinity District Chapel, it was designed by Decimus Burton (of Marble Arch fame). TV 615 987. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection. A modern view. Graeme Harvey. Link.

New Congregational Church, on South Street, which has, since 1917, been the "Free - Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion", which Kevin advises is a small church with just a few ministries in the UK and Sierra Leone. TV 608 988. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection, postally used 1904. Link1. Link2.

St. Agnes (R.C.). Graeme Harvey.

St. Andrew (Presbyterian) on Blackwater Rd. dates from 1878. TV 609 985. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection, postally used in 1907. A modern view. Graeme Harvey. These two churches are evidently different - was the original one demolished and the latter one built subsequently?

St. Anne, stood in Upperton Gardens. Built in 1882, it was demolished in 1955. TV 604 995. From a postcard in the Kevin Gordon Collection.

St. John the Evangelist, at Meads. Originally built in 1867, it was damaged during WWII, and subsequently restored, re-opening in 1957. This ima ge is of the present church, and my appreciation to Graham Parks for the correction. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Link.

St. Mary the Virgin. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.

St. Panteleimon and St Theodore (Greek Orthodox). Graeme Harvey.

St. Saviour and St. Peter. From an old postcard (franked 1904), Bulman Collection). A modern view. Graeme Harvey. Another old postcard view, this one from Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.

 

 
 

Home

27 October 2015

Steve Bulman

Contact Details