The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Durham, County Durham

Durham on Wikipedia.

Cathedral, dedicated to St. Cuthbert. Its full official dedication is "The Cathedral Church of Christ, Blessed Mary the Virgin and St. Cuthbert of Durham". Bill Henderson. A view from an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Another postcard view (card franked 1929), collection of Mrs. Marion Allen. Another view. Alan Blacklock. Further views of the cathedral (1. 2, 3, 4) all James Murray. And two more John Bowdler - 1, 2. Link.

Chapel of Hatfield College. James Murray.

Chapel of the College of St. Chad. Interior view. Both James Murray.

Former Chapel on Gilesgate. James Murray. Janet Gimber has advised that this was originally Wesleyan Methodist, and was later known as Gilesgate Methodist Chapel.

Former Chapel of the College of St. Hild, which now serves as a library. The college amalgamated with Bede College in the 1980's, the Chapel of which now serves as the Chapel of St. Hild and St. Bede College. Another view. All James Murray.

Elvet Methodist Church. Alan Blacklock. Another view. James Murray, and another, Bill Henderson (2016)..

Methodist Church at Carrville. James Murray.

North Road Methodist Chapel, originally the Bethel Chapel, dates from 1853. Alan Blacklock. Thanks to James Murray for its current status.

Our Lady of Mercy and St. Godric (R.C.). Alan Blacklock. Another view, and a view over the rooftops. Both James Murray. Link.

St. Cuthbert. James Murray. Another view, Bill Henderson (2016).

St. Cuthbert (R.C.) at Elvet. James Murray. Two interior views - 1, 2, both Mike Forbester.

St. Giles on Gilesgate. James Murray. Another view. Alan Blacklock.

St. Margaret of Antioch. Alan Blacklock.

St. Mary le Bow. Bill Henderson.

St. Mary Magdalene at Belmont. James Murray.

The ruins of St. Mary Magdalene medieval chapel stand at NZ 283 429, immediately north of the A690. Another view. A plaque gives a little history - the chapel was also a hospital, which at the time served the spiritual as well as the physical needs of the patients. It was also a parish church. All Martin Richter (2012). Link1. Link2. Link3 (which includes a scale drawing). Grade I listed.

St. Mary the Less, Chapel to St. John's College. Alan Blacklock. Another view. James Murray. Link.

St. Nicholas. Bill Henderson. Another view. Alan Blacklock. Interior view. James Murray. James advises that the church was turned by 90 degrees in the 1990's. The site of the original high altarAnother view of the church. John Bowdler. An attractive old postcard view of the market place and St. Nicholas. From Andrew Ross's Collection. Link.

St. Oswald. Another view. Link. St. Oswald Church Institute. All Alan Blacklock.

Salvation Army on Saddler Street. James Murray.

Former U.R.C. (1905) in Claypath. James Murray. Previously unnamed, thanks to David Regan for providing the identification. The following Link lists 3 previous chapels on the same site since 1751.

Interior views of St. Joseph's Chapel and the Chapel of St. Charles Borromeo, both at Ushaw College Chapel. Both Mike Forbester.




30 August 2018

Steve Bulman

Contact Details