The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Dukinfield, Greater Manchester
Crematorium and Cemetery Chapel, at Dukinfield Cemetery and Crematorium (Hall Green Road), opened 1866. Interior view. SJ 945 981. Both © Mike Berrell. Another interior view, © Mike Berrell (2010). Link.
Dukinfield Congregational Church on Crescent Road. Another view (from Zetland Street). (SJ 942 981. © Mike Berrell (2010). Opened in 1972 (plaque), there was a previous church - the foundation stone from 1911 is preserved in the present church. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. All © Mike Berrell (2015). Link.
Dukinfield Methodist Church on Wellington Parade. The site was formerly occupied by the Bethesda New Connexion Chapel, dating from 1840. The linked website has some images of the previous church (follow "History"). SJ 939 982. © Mike Berrell. Two interiors - 1, 2, and a plaque recording the opening in 1978, all © Mike Berrell (2015). Link.
Old Chapel (Unitarian, 1707) on Crescent Road. SJ 943 949. © Mike Berrell. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, and a window, all © Mike Berrell (2011). An old engraving, © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard. Grade II* listed - link.
Old Hall Congregational Church on Dewsnap Lane. Mike says that there are plans to build a new church on the site. SJ 942 970. © Mike Berrell. Link. Mike advises that as of 2015, the new church remains un-built.
St. Alban's Mission (CoE) on Park Road. SJ 946 983. © Mike Berrell. Mike advises that the Mission is no longer used for services, and is currently (2015) a drop-in centre for the homeless.
St. Mark (CoE) on Church St. SJ 937 981. © Mike Berrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, a window, and a screen in memory of Kathy Staff (the actress, best known for her role as Nora Batty in Last of the Summer Wine). She was a life long member of St Mark's and sang in the choir. Link.
St. Mary (R.C.) on Zetland Street dates from 1856. SJ 941 980. © Mike Berrell. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3. All © Mike Berrell (2010). Link. It was preceded by St. Mary on Astley Street. Opened in 1825, structural problems soon became apparent, caused by nearby mine workings, and after only 22 years it was demolished. Several other churches sprang from it, including St. Peter, Stalybridge, St. Paul, Hyde, and St. Anne, Ashton. The site of the church and its disused graveyard remains as a grassed area, and a plaque commemorates the church. Both © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
Tame Valley Methodist Church on Park Road closed in about 2008. SJ 950 982. © Mike Berrell.
17 November 2015
© Steve Bulman