The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Darwen, Lancashire

Darwen on Wikipedia.

Churches in Lower Darwen, Over Darwen.
 

The former Baptist Chapel (1862) on Bolton Road. SD 693 217. Mike Berrell (2013).

The former Belgrave Meeting House (Independent, 1847-mid 1970's) on Bolton Road, now flats. SD 692 221. Mike Berrell (2014). Grade II listed.

Bolton Road U.R.C. SD 696 209. Mike Berrell (2013). Interior view, Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

Calvary Baptist Church (Independent Evangelical, founded 2012) meet in Derwent Hall on George Street. SD 691 225. Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

Central U.R.C. (1852-3) on Duckworth Street. Interior view. SD 691 225. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Link. Grade II listed.

Highfield Congregational Church on Edmund Street. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the date-stone for 1931. SD 698 221. All Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

Hollins Grove Congregational Church on Darwen Road. Darwen Christian Spiritualist Church also meet here (link). SD 684 235. Philip Kapp. Another view, Peter Morgan, and another, Mike Berrell (2013). Two interior views taken in 2013 when undergoing alterations - 1, 2, both Mike Berrell (2013).

Madina Mosque (Sunni) on Victoria Street. SD 694 221. Mike Berrell (2014).

New Methodist Church (1970) on Blackburn Road. Interior view. A photo of the previous church building is reproduced by kind permission of the church committee. SD 687 230. All Mike Berrell (2013). Link1. Link2.

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1851-1989) on Bolton Road. SD 697 207. Mike Berrell (2013).

The former Primitive Methodist Chapel (1869 - 1969) on Lark Street, now in secular use. SD 698 204. Mike Berrell (2014).

Sacred Heart and St. Edward (R.C.) on Blackburn Road. SD 683 239. Peter Morgan. Another view, and an interior view, both Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

St. Barnabas on Watery Lane. SD 698 205. Philip Kapp. Two interior views - 1, 2, and a window, all Mike Berrell (2014).

St. Cuthbert on Blackburn Road. SD 685 233. Peter Morgan. Another view, John Balaam (2013). Two interior views - 1, 2, and the foundation-stone for 1907, all Mike Berrell (2013). Grade II listed.

St. Joseph (R.C.) on Bolton Road. Another view. SD 694 216. Both Mike Berrell (2013). Interior view, Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

St. Peter (1827-9) on Church Street. SD 694 222. John Balaam (2010). Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, and an attractive modern window, all Mike Berrell (2014). Link. Grade II* listed - which says that the church was formerly dedicated to Holy Trinity.

Spring Vale Methodist Church on Watery Lane, Sandhills, built as Primitive Methodist in 1874. Two interiors - 1, 2. SD 701 921. All Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

The former Wesleyan Chapel on Railway Road, now a pub. Two interior views - 1, 2, and a window. SD 694 223. All Mike Berrell (2014).

Lower Darwen
This old postcard of Blackamoor Church was for a long time in the "Unknown" section. Janet Gimber had located a Blackamoor as being part of Blackburn. Such limited information we'd been able to find suggested that this is St. James, Lower Darwen, which was demolished in 1969. My appreciation to Pauline Hodkinson for confirming these details, and also for sending in the date of its consecration - 15 March 1829. See also the next entry. Howard Richter advises that the postcard must date from after 1931. The building to the left of the church, which looks corrugated, is not shown on the 1931 OS map, but does appear on the 1956-1961 edition. What it was is unclear.
St. James on Stopes Brow, undergoing refurbishment. Mike advises that there is an old graveyard attached to this church, so this may be the site of the church listed immediately above this entry. Mike Berrell (2014). Two additional views - 1, 2. Two views across the old graveyard - 1, 2, the latter showing the current church among the trees. Some fragments of wall can also be seen; these sit around a paved area, seen here. This must be a fragment of Blackamoor church (see the above entry) - Howard has drawn my attention to the photo on this link, which shows Blackamoor Church, and the War Memorial also seen in one of the "additional views". The churchyard gate also survives. All Howard Richter. Link.
The former Wesleyan Chapel, which was used as a Sunday School when a new chapel was built in mid-Victorian times. It was probably demolished in the early 1900's when a new Sunday School was built. From an old postcard in Anne Welding's Collection.
Trinity United Church (U.R.C. and Methodist) on Sandy Lane. SD 685 250. Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
The former United Methodist Free Church on Fore Street, has been converted into flats. SD 689 251. Mike Berrell (2014).

Over Darwen
The former Independent Chapel at Chapels. SD 694 232. Mike Berrell (2014).
St. James on Winterton Road. Two interior views - 1, 2. SD 696 231. All Mike Berrell (2014).
Link.

 

 

 
 

Home

14 November 2015

Steve Bulman

Contact Details