The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Criccieth, Gwynedd

Criccieth on Wikipedia.
 

The former Berea Chapel (1886) on Wellington Terrace, for sale in 2013. © Dennis Harper (2013).

The previously unidentified former church on High Street has been identified by Howard Richter, who advises that it was Capel Mawr (Calvinistic Methodist), and named as such on the 1900 O.S. map. The grade II listing suggests a building date of 1822, with the building being re-fronted towards the end of the century (source here). When photographed it was being used by a firm of auctioneers, and was also partly residential. SH 4977 3812. © Dennis Harper (2013). The grade II listing suggests a building date of 1822.

Catholic Church of the Holy Spirit (R.C.) on Caernarfon Road. Another view. Both © Dennis Harper (2013). Link.

Family Church on Lôn Ednyfed. © Dennis Harper (2013). Link.

Jerusalem Independent Chapel (Congregational, 1886) on Cambrian Terrace. © Dennis Harper (2013).

Methodist Church on Mona Terrace. © Dennis Harper (2013).

Pen y Maes, otherwise Uchaf, Baptist Chapel. Originally built in the last years of the 18th century, it was soon re-built (1817). The congregation left the building in 1886 when they moved to Berea (see above). Another view. SH 4973 3869. © Howard Richter (2016). Link, which says that David Lloyd George was baptised in the stream in the church grounds.

The former Presbyterian Chapel. It was for some time the "Chapel of Art", but is now a private residence. SH 498 376. © Dave  Westrap. Another view, © Peter Morgan (2014). Link.

St. Catherine (CiW). Another view. Both © Dennis Harper (2013). Three further views - 1, 2, 3, and a sun-dial in the churchyard, all © Howard Richter (2013). Link.

The former St. Deiniol (CiW) on High Street has been converted into flats. Two additional views - 1, 2. All © Dennis Harper (2013). Another view, © Howard Richter (2012).

The former Salem Wesleyan Chapel, now in use by a builder and undertaker. Another view, and the date-stone (if it may so be called) is unusual and attractive. As Howard Richter has pointed out, the date-stone for 1901 is misleading. The chapel was originally built circa 1809, and re-built in 1869 (see the Coflein entry). An old photo, available here, shows it in a simpler style - this is presumably the 1869 re-build, which was at some subsequent point modified with a more elaborate facade. Comparison of large-scale O.S. maps of 1900 and 1916 show that the chapel footprint was changed. Whether this was another re-build or an enlargement is not at present clear, but these works are presumably the ones the 1901 date-stone commemorates. All © Dennis Harper (2013).

 

 

 
 

Home

21 June 2018

© Steve Bulman

Contact Details