The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Colne, Lancashire

Colne on Wikipedia.
 

Bethel Independent Methodist Church (1882) on Burnley Road. There were previously two separate buildings on either side of the main road though the second was later demolished. SD 879 394. Paul Brown. Another view, Mike Berrell (2014).

Christ Church (1836) on Keighley Road. SD 907 404. Stuart Mackrell. Another view, two interior views - 1, 2, the side-chapel, list of incumbents, and a modern window (1997), all Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

Holy Trinity on Burnley Road. SD 877 393. Paul Brown. Another view, Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

Mortuary Chapels in Colne Cemetery on Keighley Road. SD 897 401. Mike Berrell (2014).

Mount Zion United Methodist Church on Exchange Street. Has not been used as a church for many years. SD 888 397. Paul Brown. When Mike visited in 2014 it was evidently up for auction. Mike Berrell (2014).

New Life Christian Centre (Assemblies of God) on West Street was originally an Inghamite Church. SD 891 399. They also have The Barrett Building on Blucher Street, which was originally Bethesda Independent Methodist Chapel. SD 892 399. Both Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

Providence Independent Methodist Church, dating from 1907. SD 889 401. Philip Kapp. Mike Berrell advises that this closed in 2013 - see here and here.

Sacred Heart (R.C.) on Queen Street. SD 882 399. Paul Brown. Another view, and three interiors - 1, 2, 3, all Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

St. Bartholomew on Church Street. SD 889 401. Paul Brown. This old postcard (in Steve Bulman's Collection) was previously in the "Unknown" section, and identified by Janet Gimber. The card was posted in 1904. Two additional views - 1, 2 and two interior views - 1, 2, all Mike Berrell (2014). Link. Grade I listed.

St John (Methodist, dedicated 1968) on Albert Road. SD 888 400. Paul Brown. Another view, two interiors - 1, 2, and what was the schoolroom for the previous (demolished) chapel, all Mike Berrell (2014). 

The former St. Ursula's Chapel (R.C., 1912-2003) on Winewall Road, now in secular use. SD 907 401. Mike Berrell (2014). 

Former Salvation Army Hall on Market Place, now a Citizens Advice Bureau. Rob Brettle.

Spiritualist Church (S.N.U.) on Spring Lane. SD 886 401. Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

Trinity Baptist Church on Robert Street. SD 894 402. Paul Brown. Another view, the date-stone for 1883, and an interior view, all Mike Berrell (2014). The original church was demolished and is now the site of the car park. The present church was originally the school. A drawing of the old church, and an old photo of the interior are both reproduced by kind permission of the Deacon, and Mike Berrell (2014). Link.

The former Wesleyan Chapel and School on Cotton Tree Lane, now in secular use. SD 906 401. Mike Berrell (2014).

The former Wesleyan Methodist Church and Mission School (school 1890) on Langroyd Road, now in secular use. SD 889 405. Mike Berrell (2014).

Probable former Chapel on Spring Lane, now in secular use. SD 886 403. Mike Berrell (2014).

 

 
 

Home

14 November 2015

Steve Bulman

Contact Details