The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Congregational Chapel (1816-17) on East Stockwell Street now serves as offices. ST 9966 2532. © Steve Bulman (2016).
The former Congregational Chapel (1844) on Chapel Street North now serves as The Headgate Theatre. The building behind was the school (1903). ST 9946 2249. © Steve Bulman (2016).
Friends' Meeting House on Church Street. TL 9931 2510. © Steve Bulman (2016).
Full Gospel Mission Church (Pentecostal) on Straight Road. © Alan K. Taylor (1988).
The former Holy Trinity on Trinity Street. This ancient (pre-Norman) church is now in use as a market. Another view. The triangular-headed doorway is a diagnostic feature for Saxon buildings, though more usual in windows. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, and the font. TL 9962 2512. All © Steve Bulman (2016).
The former St. Giles on St. John's Green. Following closure in 1953 or 1956 (according to source consulted), it was eventually converted to use as a Masonic Centre. TL 9982 2482. © Steve Bulman (2016). Grade II listed.
St. Helen's Chapel (C12, O) stands partly on the Roman Theatre, some work of which is visible in the lowest levels of the walls. Now Greek Orthodox (since 2000), it fell out of religious use following the Reformation in the 16th century, but was a Friends Meeting House in the 18th. Two interior views - 1, 2. On St. Helen's Lane and Maidenburgh Street, ST 9976 2539. All © Steve Bulman (2016). Link. Grade II listed.
St. John the Evangelist (1864) on Ipswich Road. Two further views- 1, 2. A close-up of the small turret. The extension is modern, and from map evidence, must date to after 1980. TM 015 277. © Martin Richter (2012). Link. Grade II listed.
St. Martin (O) stands on West Stockwell Street. Redundant, it is now cared for by the Churches Conservation Trust. It contains much re-cycled Roman material. Another view. Two interiors - 1, 2, and a fragment of wall painting. TL 9961 2534. All © Steve Bulman (2016). Link.
St. Michael at Myland. From an old postcard in Reg Dosell's Collection.
St. Peter on High Street and North Hill. From an old postcard (franked 1906) in Steve Bulman's Collection. Two modern views - 1, 2. When we visited, the church was not open to the public, owing to vandalism. TL 9943 2524. Both © Steve Bulman (2016). Link. Grade II* listed.
St. Runwald (a very rare dedication), which stood on High Street, was demolished in 1878-9. The graveyard remains, on West Stockwell Street. © Steve Bulman (2016). Link, which has numerous illustrations of the church.
U.R.C. on Lion Walk. The spire is all that remains of the 1863 Congregational Church. The rest of the church is built into the shopping centre of 1984-6; the church is on the upper floor. TL 997 251. © Steve Bulman (2016).
26 November 2017
© Steve Bulman