The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Clay Cross Baptist Church (1867) on Market Street. Until relatively recently, Clay Cross New Life Church (link) used to meet here too, but they have now moved to Stretton Village Hall. SK 39312 63441. © Carole Sage (2018). Link.
Clay Cross Community Church (or C4 Church) on Market Street. The building was originally a Free Methodist Chapel (1887), and later Wesleyan. It closed as a Methodist Church in 1964 and was taken over by North East Derbyshire Christian Fellowship, and at some subsequent date attained its present name. SK 39491 63465. © Carole Sage (2018). Link1. Link2.
St. Barnabas Centre on Danesmoor opened in 2007, and replaced a church of St. Barnabas of 1883. SK 40296 63227. © Carole Sage (2018). Link. The old St. Barnabas can be seen here and here, and the caption for the latter says it was demolished in 2007.
St. Bartholomew on High Street was consecrated in 1851, and the spire added a few years later. Another view. SK 39133 63300. Both © Bill Henderson. Two additional views - 1, 2, and the cockerel weather-vane, all © Carole Sage (2018). The base of an ancient cross now stands in the churchyard, although it isn't standing in its original position. © Carole Sage (2018). Link1. Link2. Grade II listed.
Salvation Army Hall on Thanet Street. The Army has been here since the late 1950's, but it was previously a United Free Methodist Chapel. SK 39394 63145. © Carole Sage (2018).
29 December 2018
© Steve Bulman