The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Chorlton-on-Medlock, Manchester, Greater Manchester

Chorlton-on-Medlock on Wikipedia.
 

The Catholic Church of the Holy Name of Jesus (R.C.) on Oxford Road. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. Though undated, the postcard can at least be given a date of before 1928, when the tower was completed. A modern view, three interior views - 1, 2, 3 - and a war memorial, all Mike Berrell (2010). SJ 847 964. Link.

Coniston Hall of Residence (R.C., Opus Dei) on Hathersage Road. Two interior views - 1, 2, the altar, cross and explanatory plaque. SJ 856 959. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

Holy Trinity Armenian Church (opened 1870) on Upper Brook Street, built by the Armenian Church. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the altar. Memorial to the victims of the Armenian genocide of 1915, and a close-up of the plaque. SJ 853 962. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

King's Church on York Street. Rob Brettle.

Manchester Alliance Church (Chinese Christian) on Hulme Street. Interior view. SJ 841 974. Mike Berrell (2010). Link.

Manchester Central Salvation Army Hall, on Grosvenor Street. Rob Brettle.

Manchester Islamic Institute, on York Street. Rob Brettle.

Manchester Royal Infirmary Multi-Faith Centre, on Upper Brook Street. Another view. SJ 851 961. Both Mike Berrell.

Former Mosque, and previously Unitarian Church, on Upper Brook Street, undergoing demolition. SJ 853 962. Rob Brettle. Previous denomination courtesy of Mike Berrell.

The former Plymouth Grove Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, on Hyde Grove. It opened in 1879 and is now in secular use. Upon closure, the congregation moved to Renshaw House Methodist Church (see below) which is also now closed. SJ 853 964. Mike Berrell.

The former Renshaw House Methodist Church on Hyde Grove is now closed and appears unused. SJ 853 964. Mike Berrell.

St Peter's Church and Chaplaincy (CoE, Baptist, Methodist and URC), St Peter's House, University of Manchester, Oxford Road. Two interior views- 1, 2. SJ 845 968. All Mike Berrell (2011). Link.

The site of St. Saviour (CoE). The first church (1835 - 1964) was succeeded by a second in 1964, but this was demolished only ten years later, in preparation for a proposed ring-road development. SJ 851 966. Mike Berrell.

Salvation Army Citadel on Grosvenor Street. SJ 846 972. Mike Berrell (2010).

The former Union Baptist Chapel on York Place, now demolished. SJ 850 959. Image by kind permission of the church. Part of the pulpit was transferred to the Union Baptist Chapel on Waller Avenue, Fallowfield. Mike Berrell (2010).

 

 

 
 

Home

03 June 2006

Steve Bulman

Contact Details