The Churches of Britain and Ireland
All Saints. © Peter Morgan.
Cemetery Chapel. © Peter Morgan.
Chapel House Christian Fellowship. © Peter Morgan.
Chorley Methodist Church - see Trinity Methodist Church, below.
The former Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Chapel (1866) on Cunliffe Street, now a Masonic Hall. SD 584 173. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Independent Methodist Church on Lyons Lane. SD 591 174. © Peter Morgan.
Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Temple Way, Hartwood Green. © Peter Morgan. Link, and an interesting article from the New Statesman.
Park Road Methodist Church. SD 583 180. © Peter Morgan. The Rev. Martin Whiffen advised in 2017 that this church is now closed, and been sold to a local mosque for educational use. See also Trinity Methodist Church, below. Link.
St. Peter on Harper's Lane. SD 589 184. © Peter Morgan.
Trinity Methodist Church. © Peter Morgan. Since Peter took his photo, this church has united with the congregation of Park Road Methodist Church (which has closed), and Trinity has been re-named as Chorley Methodist Church.
The former United Methodist Free Church on Railway Street, now in secular use. SD 586 174. © Mike Berrell (2010). The Rev. Martin Whiffen advised in 2017 that this church has been demolished, and a new "Youth Zone" building built on the site.
U.R.C. on Hollinshead Street, originally Independent Chapel, built 1792 and elevated 1877, as inscribed on a stone. The Rev. Martin Whiffen has advised that this building was originally much lower, and the building increased in height, and a gallery added. With hindsight, this was a bad move, as they have had structural problems since. The church is currently (2017) negotiating with the local council to sell the building. It will be demolished to make way for a car park for a shopping centre. A new U. R. C. is to be built , with the intention of it opening in 2018. © Mike Berrell (2010). Link.
Previously listed as a possible former
chapel on Park Street, Mike's
investigations (with the invaluable assistance of Joan Dickinson, Chair of the
Chorley Historical Society) have established that this was a school building
belonging to the Unitarian Chapel (see above). Now in
use as a pre-school centre. SD 584 180. © Mike Berrell (2010).
15 February 2018
© Steve Bulman