The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Baptist Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Former Chapel, now a veterinary surgery (Chapel House) on Clayton Street. © James Murray. Janet Gimber has advised that although this was known as Wesley Hall, it does appear to have been a Methodist Chapel.
Holy Trinity. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Derby Road. Although the date of building isn't known at present, it does pre-date 2010, as the Geograph website has a photo of it with that date. SK 38278 69268. © Carole Sage (2018).
Ragged School Evangelical Church. © Gerard Charmley (2011). As of 2018, Chesterfield New Life Church is also meeting here. Their normal place of worship is Winding Wheel Theatre, and they have moved out temporarily while work is being carried out. Their website is here, and a photo of the theatre is available here.
Rose Hill U.R.C. (formerly Independent). © Gerard Charmley (2011).
St. Mary and All Saints, with the famous "crooked spire". SK 38517 71174. © Bill Henderson. Another view, © Peter Morgan, and a closer view of the tower and spire, © Carole Sage (2011). This photo was taken from the Big Wheel, temporarily in residence. © Liz Allen (2018). Another view, the interior, altar, two side chapels - 1, 2, the eagle lectern, the pulpit and font, and a selection of the many fine windows - 1, 2, 3, the latter donated by the people of the town in 1984 to celebrate the churches 750th anniversary. The list of clergy goes back to 1195. All © Carole Sage (2018).
Stonedge Wesleyan Reform Chapel, on the road to Buxton. © Gerard Charmley (2011).
Unitarian Chapel on Elder Way. Interior view. SK 377 719. Both © Gerard Charmley (2011). An old photo, © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old illustrations on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
This nightclub (Livingstones) is obviously a former church, probably Methodist or U.R.C. The date 1903 is over the door. © James Murray. Now called "Sin", Gerard Charmley advises that it was originally a Primitive Methodist Chapel. © Gerard Charmley (2011). Janet Gimber further advises that it was later known as Holywell Cross Methodist Church.
31 December 2018
© Steve Bulman