The Churches of Britain and Ireland

 

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

Cheltenham on Wikipedia.
 

Churches in Benhall, Charlton Kings, Hesters Way, Lansdown, Leckhampton, St. Peter's, Swindon, Tivoli, Warden Hill.

All Saints on All Saints Road, Pittville. From a multi-image postcard, franked 1904, in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view, Graeme Harvey (2013). Link.

Bayshill Unitarian Church on Royal Well Lane. SO 945 223. An adjoining Auction House appears to be an old chapel. Both Andrew Ross. Graeme Harvey has advised that the Auction House was the original chapel (built 1844), and the present chapel an extension to it. The relation of the two building can be seen here, Graeme Harvey. It was Bayshill Unitarian Chapel, as can be seen in this old engraving, unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.

The former Bethany Baptist Chapel on Regent Street, now used by an employment agency. It has also been known as Regent Chapel. Janet Gimber (2015).

Cambray Baptist Church on Cambray Place. SO 950 222. Andrew Ross. Link.

Former chapel, now a private residence. Graeme Harvey. Rosemary Lockie advises that this was originally a General Baptist Chapel, and latterly "Golden Valley Chapel".

Cheltenham Chapel (1809) on Jenner Walk is now in use as offices. In the past it has been used by the Congregationalists, Presbyterians, and the Salvation Army, and is the city's oldest surviving non-conformist chapel. Another view. Both Janet Gimber (2015).

Cheltenham Evangelical Free Church, on Whaddon Road. Graeme Harvey (2015). Link.

Cheltenham Synagogue, on Synagogue Lane. Graeme Harvey (2013). Link.

Christadelphian Hall (1821). SO 945 224. Andrew Ross. Another view, David Gallimore(2010).

The former Ebenezer Methodist Chapel (1812) on King Street, now in residential use. Janet Gimber (2015).

Elim Christian Centre, on St. George's Rd. Andrew Ross.

The former Friends' Meeting House on Clarence Street, now in use as a gym. The current Meeting House is on Warwick Place. Both Janet Gimber (2015).

Highbury Congregational Church on Oxford Street. Another view. Both Graeme Harvey (2012). Link.

Hindu Community Centre, which houses the temple, is the former St. Paul's Hall on Swindon Road.

Masjid-al-Madina on Sherborne Place. SO 953 225. Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

Masjidul Falah, aka Cheltenham Muslim Association, on High Street. SO 943 229. Mehmood Naqshbandi, and reproduced from his website Muslims in Britain.

The North Place Chapel was previously Portland Chapel, and is now a gym. Graeme Harvey.

St. Andrew (U.R.C.) on Montpellier Street. SO 944 220. Andrew Ross.

The former St. Faith's Mission Church on Sherborne Place, now used as a gym. Janet Gimber (2015).

St. Gregory the Great (R.C.). The handsome tympanum. Both Andrew Ross. Two further views - 1, 2, both David Gallimore (2010). Interior view, Graeme Harvey (2013). Link.

The former St. James, now a restaurant. Graeme Harvey.

St. John. From a multi-image postcard, franked 1904, in Steve Bulman's Collection.

St. Luke. Graeme Harvey. Link.

St. Mark

St. Mary (properly St. Mary with St. Matthew). From a multi-image postcard, franked 1904, in Steve Bulman's Collection. This postcard (from Reg Dosell's collection) appears to be the same image, coloured. A modern view. Andrew Ross. Link1. Link2.

The former St. Mary's Mission Church in the Winston Churchill Memorial Gardens. Another view. Dating from 1831 as a mission church from St. Mary's Minster Church, and later a parish church, it is now in use as a martial arts centre. Both Janet Gimber (2015).

St. Matthew. Also known as the "Tin Chapel". See Parish History on the linked site. From a multi-image postcard, franked 1904, Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. And another. Graeme Harvey. Thanks to Graeme Harvey for advising that the spire was removed in two stages, firstly in 1952, then in 1971. Another view, David Gallimore(2010). Link.

St. Paul, on St. Paul's Road. Interior view. Both Graeme Harvey (2013). Link.

The former St. Paul's Maternity Hospital Chapel on Swindon Road, now used as offices. Janet Gimber (2015).

Salem Baptist Church on St. Georges Road. SO 941 225. Andrew Ross. Link. The Old Salem Chapel on Clarence Parade has been in use as a pub since 1999. Janet Gimber (2015).

Salvation Army on Bath Road. Graeme Harvey (2010). Now called The Salvation Army Community Church, Graeme has provided a more recent photo. Graeme Harvey (2015). Link.

The former Snow's Chapel (1817-18) on Grosvenor Street, so named after Rev. Thomas Snow, who founded the chapel following his removal from Portland Chapel. Just a few years later (1827) it was sold to the Congregationalists who re-named it as Highbury Chapel. This too had a short life, as in 1852 the congregation moved to a new chapel in Winchcombe Street. It was subsequently a Sunday School, and is now a youth club hall. Janet Gimber (2015).

University of Gloucester Chapel, off St Paul's Lane. Janet Gimber (2015).

Spiritualist Church on Bennington Street. Graeme Harvey (2013). Link.

Trinity Church. Link. From a multi-image postcard, franked 1904, from Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. Graeme Harvey.

United Church of St. Michael on Severn Road. Graeme Harvey (2013). Link.

Former Wesleyan Chapel (Graeme believes now used by a housing charity. Graeme Harvey. Another view, Janet Gimber (2015).

Benhall
St. Mark on Church Road. Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, John Balaam (2017). Link.

Charlton Kings
Baptist Church. Graeme Harvey.
Emmanuel Church, and interior view, both Graeme Harvey (2012).
Holy Apostles. Graeme Harvey. Link.
Providence Baptist Chapel on Naunton Parade. Graeme Harvey (2012).
Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary (R.C.). Graeme Harvey. Link.
St. Mary. Graeme Harvey. Another view, Simon Edwards (2011). Link.

Hesters Way
Bethany Gospel Hall. Graeme Harvey (2013).
Hester's Way Baptist Church. Graeme Harvey.
St. Aidan and St. Silas on Coronation Square. SO 920 228. Graeme Harvey (2012). Link.
St. Barnabas. Graeme Harvey.
St. Thomas More (R.C.). Graeme Harvey. Link.

Lansdown
Christ Church. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. Andrew Ross.
St. Mark's Methodist Church. SO 934 223. Andrew Ross. Link.
Former Wesleyan Chapel (1891) on Gloucester Road, now used as a showroom. Graeme Harvey. My appreciation to Rosemary Lockie for the identification.

Leckhampton
Bethesda Methodist Church (1846). Graeme Harvey. Link.
Emmanuel Church on Fairfield Parade. Foundation stone laid 1936. Interior views - 1, 2. All Rosemary Groves (2010).
Naunton Lane Evangelical Presbyterian Church. The stone above the gable window says "Gospel Mission Hall". Graeme Harvey (2013). Link.
St. Philip and St. James. Interior view. Both Graeme Harvey. Link.

St. Peter's
Gas Green Baptist Church on Russell Street. Graeme Harvey (2012). Link.
St. Peter. Graeme Harvey.

Swindon
St. Lawrence. SO 935 249. Graeme Harvey (2010). Link. Grade II* listed.

Tivoli
St. Stephen on St. Stephen's Road. Interior view. Both Graeme Harvey (2012). Link. Grade II* listed- link.

Warden Hill
St. Christopher on Lincoln Avenue. Graeme Harvey (2012). Link.
Warden Hill U.R.C. on Salisbury Avenue. Graeme Harvey (2013).
Link.

 

 
 

Home

09 April 2017

Steve Bulman

Contact Details