The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Cheetham and Cheetham Hill, Manchester, Greater Manchester
Al-Falah Islamic Centre on Heywood Street. SD 842 005. © Mike Berrell (2010).
The former Cheetham Hill National Spiritual Church, on Halliwell Lane. It stands on the site of a Primitive Methodist Chapel, which was standing in 1901, according to a directory of the time. SD 837 013. © Mike Berrell.
Igreja Maná Church (Portuguese Evangelical Pentecostal) on Stanley Street was originally St Thomas's Day and Sunday Schools (1847). SJ 844 997. © Mike Berrell (2011).
Jamia Mosque (Sufi-Bareilvi) on Woodlands Road, Cheetham Hill. SD 840 016. © Mike Berrell (2016).
The former New Central Synagogue on Cheetham Hill Road was originally a Methodist Church. Now in secular use. SD 840 993. © Mike Berrell (2011).
The former 'New Congregation' Synagogue on Cheetham Hill Road, now in secular use. SJ 842 996. © Mike Berrell.
New Life Mission Pentecostal Church (formerly Wycliffe Hall) on Dornton Walk and Dudley Street (formerly Vernon Street), Cheetham Hill. SD 839 009. © Mike Berrell.
North Manchester Jamia Mosque on Woodlands Road, Cheetham Hill, founded in 1982. SJ 840 016.
The Redeemed Christian Church of God meet at the Abraham Moss Centre on Crescent Road, Cheetham Hill. SD 845 017. © Mike Berrell (2011).
St. John the Evangelist on Waterloo Road (1871). SJ 840 010. © Mike Berrell. A view of the side-chapel, probably taken in the 1920's. © Gail Williams. Two interior views - 1, 2, two close-ups of the very fine mosaic work - 1, 2, and the dedicatory inscription (in a slightly bizarre script), all © Mike Berrell (2010), who also advises that the Eritrean Orthodox Church meet here. In 2017 Mike advised me that the church had been closed (news item), but was to re-open as New Testament Church of God - Faith Tabernacle.
St. Luke on Cheetham Hill Road, Cheetham Hill (1839-1988). SJ 845 008. © Mike Berrell (2006).
The former Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue on Cheetham Hill Road, dates from 1874. Closed in 1980, it re-opened as Manchester Jewish Museum in 1984. SJ 843 999. © Mike Berrell. Three interior views - 1, 2, 3, and the information plaque, all © Mike Berrell (2010). Link.
The long-demolished Victoria Wesleyan Methodist Church (1872-1950), which stood on Queen's Road. SD 844 004. From an old magazine in Gail Williams' Collection. Phil Stringer of GENUKI has kindly supplied a cleaned-up version.
03 June 2006
© Steve Bulman