The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Catrine, East Ayrshire
The former Free Church (1845) merged with the United Presbyterian (see United Secession church, below) in 1900 and became St. Cuthbert's United Free Church, and in 1929 as a consequence of the Free Church and Church of Scotland merger, became Gordon Memorial Church (CoS). In the 1950's the CoS deemed the church surplus to requirements, so the congregation joined the Congregational Evangelical Union, moved to another building ((the A.M. Brown Institute), and in 1960 bought the building and moved back to it, and it remained in use as Congregational until 2002, when it closed. Another view. NS 5256 2600. More history here. All © Howard Richter (2014).
The former United Secession Church, opened in 1837, and qualifies as pre-Victorian by two days. A complicated history (a more detailed exposition here) includes the change to United Presbyterian, closure as a church (date so far not known) followed by spells as a Masonic Hall and as Catrine Brethren Assembly, Gordon Memorial Church Hall, and as church hall for Catrine Parish Church. Its present status is uncertain, but Howard suspects it may have been sold for conversion. Two additional views - 1, 2. NS 5248 2603.
07 February 2016
© Steve Bulman