The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Bury, Greater Manchester
Churches in Elton.
Brandlesholme Methodist Church, on Boulden Drive, Brandlesholme. SD 792 123. © Mike Berrell.
Bury Cemetery on St. Peter's Road, the remaining foundation stones of the former Mortuary Chapel. Another chapel remains close by. Sha'arei Shalom Ohel (Jewish Mortuary Chapel). SD 808 092. Link. All © Mike Berrell.
Bury Unitarian Church (1974). SD 802 106. © Stuart Mackrell.
Christ Church at Walmersley. SD 805 137. © Mike Berrell.
Church of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity (CoE) on Spring Street. SD 810 103. © Mike Berrell.
Fishpool Seventh-day Adventist Community Church. 109 SD 805 097. © Philip Kapp.
Jerico Methodist Church, on Bury and Rochdale Old Road, Jerico. SD 837 120. © Mike Berrell.
Metro Christian Centre - Bury, was previously Bethesda Pentecostal Church, and before that, United Free Methodist Church, dating from 1883. SD 804 097. © Philip Kapp. Interior view. Another interior view. Both © Mike Berrell. Mike advises that the interior is to be altered, "improvements" including removing the pews, and levelling the floor. Shame! Link.
Presbyterian Chapel and Schoolrooms on Bank Street. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
St. George at Heap Bridge. SD 824 103. © Philip Kapp.
St. Marie (R.C.), on Manchester Road, a rather bizarre building. SD 803 111. © Janet Huige. Another view, and a close-up of the entrance. Both © Philip Kapp. Another view, and two interiors - 1, 2, all © Mike Berrell (2016). Link.
St. Mary the Virgin on The Rock. From an old postcard (franked 1907), in Steve Bulman's Collection. Another old postcard view, from Carole Sage's Collection. Although only franked in 1958, it looks to be many years older. A modern view. SD 8043 1087. © Stuart Mackrell. Two interior views - 1, 2, both © Mike Forbester. Link1. Link2. Grade II listed.
The former St. Oswald's Mission Church (CoE), on Bury New Road and Radcliffe Moor Road. Now Radcliffe Masonic Hall. SD 758 090. © Mike Berrell.
St. Thomas on Rochdale Road. SD 814 106. © Mike Berrell.
Salvation Army Hall. © Rob Brettle.
U.R.C. on Manchester Road, formerly the Blackford Bridge Congregational Church (1888). SD 807 079. © Mike Berrell.
Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now in secular use. On Rochdale Road. SD 812 108. © Mike Berrell. David Meredith advises that this church was taken over at some point in the late 19th century by "The Christian Church", an independent splinter from the Unitarians. They existed until the 1960's when it became an auction house. It's now in use as an Asian food wholesale business. The remaining congregation joined Bury Baptist Church. The frontage of the building is listed.
Former Zion United Methodist Free Church (1888) on Warth Road. Now secular, but currently not in use. SD 795 094. © Mike Berrell.
03 October 2016
© Steve Bulman