The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Churches in Habergham.
The former Aenon Baptist Church (1852), now in commercial use. SD 842 324. © Stuart Mackrell.
The former Angle Street Baptist Church (1878) is now in use as a Muslim school. SD 844 339. © Stuart Mackrell.
Briercliffe Road Church (Methodist and Baptist, 2001) stands on the site of an Elim Church. SD 851 334. © Stuart Mackrell.
Brunshaw Methodist Church (2002) replaced a temporary building on the same site. SD 859 324. © Stuart Mackrell.
Former Burnley Accrington Road Salvation Army Hall, on Elmwood Road. Now in industrial use? © Rob Brettle.
Burnley Lane Baptist Chapel. Below the apex it reads "General Baptist Chapel, Anno Domini MDCCCLX" (1860). © Stuart Mackrell.
Burnley Salvation Army Citadel, on Richard Street. © Rob Brettle.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (1969). SD 848 328. © Stuart Mackrell.
The former Claremont Church (1891), now a furniture showroom. SD 825 330. © Stuart Mackrell.
The former Colne Road Methodist Church. SD 844 336. © Stuart Mackrell.
The former Hanover United Free Methodist Chapel (1898) on Old Hall Street, now in secular use. SD 842 338. © Mike Berrell (2010).
The former Howard Street Primitive Methodist Chapel (1895 - abt 1961), now in commercial use. SD 830 323. © Stuart Mackrell.
The former Immanuel Baptist Church (1909), now in commercial use. SD 842 343. © Stuart Mackrell.
Jamia Masjid Mosque on Hebrew Road. SD 843 337. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. © Stuart Mackrell.
The former Mount Pleasant Baptist Chapel (1858 - 1997) on Hammerton Street. Another view. SD 838 323. Both © Mike Berrell (2010). A memorial stone was lying on the ground when Mike visited in 2014. The date (1875) may refer to the date of the building. © Mike Berrell (2014).
The former Mount Zion Primitive Methodist Chapel on Colne Road, now in secular use. SD 844 336. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Of Rehoboth Primitive Methodist Chapel (1863) on Springfield Road (formerly Waterloo Road), nothing remains, although the Sunday School (1881) is still extant. SD 845 319. © Mike Berrell (2014). A photo of the church is available here.
St Teresa of the Infant Jesus (R.C., 1980) on Barracks Road. The dedication plaque, and two interior views - 1, 2. SD 828 325. All © Mike Berrell (2016). A news item on proposed church closures. Mike has advised that this church closed in July 2017.
The demolished Salem Congregational Church, which stood on Manchester Road. Founded in 1849, it was closed in 1969 when costly repairs became unaffordable. According to Genuki, it stood at SD 840 324. From Nigel Birch's Collection.
Spiritualist Church on Stanley Street. SD 840 312. © Mike Berrell (2010).
Unitarian Church (1858-1960) on Trafalgar Street. It stood at SD 834 325. © unitarian.co.uk. This, and many other old engravings on this website, are reproduced from the downloadable books on the Unitarian Church Headquarters website here. The books are Pictures of Unitarian Churches by Emily Sharpe (1901) and the 1914 edition of Nonconformist Church Architecture by Ronald P. Jones M.A, (Oxon), and the images are reproduced by kind permission of James Barry of Unitarian Church Headquarters. My appreciation also to Mike Berrell for his efforts in this regard.
U.R.C. on Bethesda Street, originally Bethesda Independent Chapel (1881). SD 838 326. © Mike Berrell (2010).
22 October 2017
© Steve Bulman