The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Brough, Cumbria

Brough on Wikipedia.


The former Baptist Church (1852). Closed before WW1, it was converted to be a memorial hall after the war. Three additional views - 1, 2, 3. NY 7945 1453. All Howard Richter (2014).

Brough Methodist Church, originally Wesleyan (1905). NY 796 145. Martin Richter (2011).

A distant view of the former Primitive Methodist Chapel (in the centre, with orange cement mixer) of 1825. NY 7933 1416. Howard Richter (2014).

Another Primitive Methodist Chapel stood at about NY 7945 1435. The site ( Howard Richter (2014)) is now occupied by housing. The OS map of 1859 shows the 1825 chapel (see previous entry) only, so this one must be later. Howard has a reference to a new chapel having been built in 1877, only to be burned down after it was struck by lightning three years later. Perhaps (probably?) rebuilt on the same site, the 1896 map shows this chapel only, the 1825 apparently redundant before then. In 1940 it was named as Brough (Low Road) PM, and the 1956 map suggests it was still active at that date. It seems to have closed before 1970, and was demolished by 1973. The chapel itself is shown here on a painting ( Vivienne Wilcock), based on an old postcard.

St. Michael. NY 793 139. Bill Henderson. Link.

The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (1803) on Wesley Terrace, converted to residential use, and now called (somewhat oddly), Capel Cottage. It was presumably the predecessor to the present Methodist Chapel (see above). Another view. NY 7954 1451. Both Howard Richter (2014).

 

 

 
 

Home

14 November 2015

Steve Bulman

Contact Details