The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The former Bible Christian Chapel, which stands on Dennison Road at SX 0663 6711. It pre-dates a map of 1881, and was active into the mid-20th century, at least, presumably as Methodist. © Paul E. Barnett (2016).
Chapel of St. Leonard (disused) on Higher Bore Street. SX 0642 6704. © Andrew Ross. The 25" O.S. map of 1907 marks, at SX 0632 6703, St. Leonard's Chapel (Site of). It stood somewhere behind the row of buildings seen here in a Streetview of 2014.
Church of St. Mary & St. Petroc (R.C.) stands between St. Mary's Road and Westheath Avenue. SX 0609 6690. © Andrew Ross. Its dedication plaque, © Paul E. Barnett (2021). Adjacent on St. Mary's Road is St. Mary's Chapel. SX 0609 6688. © Andrew Ross. Another view, © Paul E. Barnett (2021). Link.
The former Convent of Mercy on St. Mary's Road. SX 0604 6676. © Paul E. Barnett (2021).
Glynn Valley Crematorium. SX 092 656. © Paul E. Barnett (2018).
The former Methodist Church on Fore Street is labelled as Wesleyan on older maps. SX 0683 6701. © Andrew Ross. Another view, © Paul E. Barnett (2016), who advises that this was built in 1840, enlarged in 1885, and is now a pub. The current church occupies what appears to be a former shop. SX 0690 6703. © John Balaam (2013). Link.New Life Christian Fellowship, on Chapel Lane. SX 069 670. © Andrew Ross. St. Petroc. A curious tomb? in the grounds. Can you confirm what it is? Janet Gimber has advised that the supposed tomb is in fact St. Guron's Well-House. SX 072 671. Both © Andrew Ross. Another view, © Bill Henderson (2017). Link1. Link2. In the grounds of the church stands the shell of a chantry chapel - St. Thomas à Becket. It was licensed in 1377, and was later used as a school for about three centuries. It has been roofless for about 100 years. Another view. Both © Paul E. Barnett (2018). Grade II* listed.
Seventh-day Adventist Church. SX 071 669. © John Balaam (2013).
04 March 2023
© Steve Bulman