The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd
All Saints (Welsh Orthodox), or more properly, The Orthodox Church of All Saints of Wales. This was originally St. Martha (Anglican), which pre-dated the 1st edition O.S. map of 1889. It must have closed on or before 1997, when a change of use application was made to the council to use it for storage, but it subsequently reverted to religious usage. Another view. SH 7053 4463. Both © Howard Richter (2016). Link.
The demolished Bethania Independent Chapel (1818) stood on Manod Road. The site is at SH 7051 4515 and can be seen on Streetview, here. The chapel itself is shown here, taken from a photo in Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg - Blaenau Ffestiniog a'r cylch 1938, or, in English, "Union of Welsh Independent [churches] - Blaenau Ffestiniog and district 1938", a programme for a convention held in July 1938, it was printed by J.D. Davies of Blaenau, and is now in Howard Richter's Collection. Link.
The derelict Bethesda Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist) on Manod Road. Another view. SH 7055 4478. Both © Howard Richter (2016). Link, which mentions two later Bethesda Chapels, both of which which stood nearby on at SH 7053 4487. (Streetview here). It says (wrongly) that the second of these chapels (circa 1870) is still in active use. In fact, it has been demolished, and the Bethesda congregation now meet in what was the adjacent Sunday School (link, with photo). The grade II listing dates the first chapel pictured to 1819, however, the Archive Wales entry has it as built 1826, extended 1848, and re-built 1869.
The demolished Bryn-Bowydd Independent Chapel (1882) stood at SH 6977 4584, and a block of flats now stands on the site. Link. Streetview here. The chapel itself is shown here, taken from a photo in Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg - Blaenau Ffestiniog a'r cylch 1938, or, in English, "Union of Welsh Independent [churches] - Blaenau Ffestiniog and district 1938", a programme for a convention held in July 1938, it was printed by J.D. Davies of Blaenau, and is now in Howard Richter's Collection.
The site of Caersalem Baptist Chapel on Tan-Y-Grisiau Road. Built in 1890, it was demolished in 1996-8, and is now in use as a chicken run. The wall and gate are original. SH 6916 4565. © Howard Richter (2016). Link.
The former Capel Bach (Calvinistic Methodist) on the main road dates from 1872. This link says that "by 1998 the chapel had been converted for use as a gym". Two additional views - 1, 2. SH 6963 4742. All © Howard Richter (2016).
The former Capel Horeb, for which dates and denomination are currently uncertain. Two further views - 1, 2. For sale in 2016, the Estate Agents notice (with photos) is here. It has been in use as a holiday let. SH 6917 4574. All © Howard Richter (2016).
The site of the demolished English Presbyterian Chapel at SH 6998 4602. It was built in 1882, and reportedly still in use in 1995, it was demolished on or before 2003. © Howard Richter (2016). Link, with sketches here.
Garregddu Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (1878) was demolished in the first years of the present century, and replaced with a block of flats. SH 6999 4597. Streetview here.
Gwylfa Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (1906) stood at SH 7055 4435. Link - note the old photo of the chapel under construction, and drawings of when it was in use as a garage. Streetview here - note the chapel date-stone now built into the wall to the left of the site entrance.
The former Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Leeds Street. Dates are presently uncertain, though it appears to have been active by 1977 when it is shown as "Kingdom Hall" on the OS map of that year. For sale in 2014, it seems to have closed quite recently, as it lodged its annual report with the charity commissioners for 2013 in January 2014. Another view. SH 699 459. Both © Howard Richter (2014).
The former Pisgah Baptist Chapel (1899) is now a guest house (and has been since at least 2008). Another view. SH 7027 4575. Both © Howard Richter (2016). Link, which says that it been converted to residential use by 2002.
Rhiw Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, 1856). Was this skeletal structure abutting the former chapel originally part of it? SH 695 463. Both © Howard Richter (2016). Link, which advises of enlargement in 1859, a re-build in 1868, and conversion for residential use by 1999.
Soar Wesleyan Methodist Chapel had a relatively short active life of 1904 to 1939, is now used as a store. SH 6967 4642. Streetview here.
The site of the demolished Tabernacl Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, now a car park. Built in 1864, re-built in 1902, the final service was held in 1978. A gate to a path to the chapel still stands a little way to the north-west. SH 7063 4554. Both © Howard Richter (2016). A rotatable view from the site can be seen here, and shows what a commanding view was to be had from the chapel.
Another building, now a monumental mason's, could easily be mistaken for a church, with gravestones in the "garden", but from map evidence seems never to have been a church. Built some time after 1891, the 1901 and 1919 maps show it as a Sunday School. SH 6928 4589. © Howard Richter (2016).
21 May 2017
© Steve Bulman