Blackburn on Wikipedia.
Apostolic Church on Randal Street. © Nigel Birch.
Blackburn Spiritualist Centre on Prince's Street, successor to Blackburn Spiritualist Church (see next
entry). SD 679 279. © Mike Berrell (2013).
Blackburn Spiritualist Church was built about 1905, adjacent to St. Peter's Church, and was successor
to Spiritualist Hall on Freckleton Street (see Spiritualist Hall, below). It shows as "Temple" on the 1911 OS map. It was demolished in 2014 - the
site immediately after demolition. SD 6797 2773. Both © Howard Richter (2014).
Cathedral Church of St Mary the Virgin (1820-6). Elevated to Cathedral status in 1926. SD 684 280. ©
Paul Brown. Another view, © John Balaam (2013). Link.
Grade II* listed.
Church of the Holy Souls
(R.C.) on Whalley New Road, Ramsgreave and Wilpshire. Two interior views -
2. SD 686 314. All © Mike Berrell
Community Church (The Beacon Centre) on Mill Lane. SD 682 278. © Mike
Friends' Meeting House on
© Gerard Charmley (2016).
Good Shepherd (R.C.) on
Northfield Road. Two interior views -
2. SD 682 292. All
© Mike Berrell (2016).
Hall, © Gerard Charmley (2016).
Holy Trinity. The
tower. SD 687 283. Both © Philip Kapp.
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on Whalley New Road. SD 688 300. © Mike Berrell (2013).
Lammack Methodist Church. SD 674 299. © Philip Kapp.
Makki Masjid on Balaclava Street. Another view.
SD 6818 2885. Both © Howard Richter (2014).
Masjid-al-Hadiyah on Whalley Street. Another view. SD 6840 2885. Both © Howard Richter (2014).
Masjid-e-Anisul Islam on Troy Street and Bangor Street. It
stands on the site of a Presbyterian Church, which first shows on the OS map of 1911. It replaced a smaller building which stood nearby at about SD 6881 2911,
and which is shown on the 1894 map. When either of these buildings went out of use or were demolished is at present uncertain.
Another view. SD 6879 2916. Both © Howard Richter (2014). Link.
Masjid-e-Raza on Randal Street and Kendal Street. A converted
tobacco factory, dating from 1885. Another view. SD 6834 2862. Both © Howard Richter (2014).
Methodist Church. SD 679 280. ©
A former Methodist Church, now a
snooker hall. © Philip Kapp.
New Jerusalem (Swedenborgian) Church
on Anvil Street. According to the
GENUKI entry, it was
founded before 1876 and has been demolished. From Neil Floyd's Collection.
Our Lady of Perpetual Succour
(R.C., opened 1955) on Pilmuir Road, Longshaw.
Interior view. SD 685
257. Both © Mike Berrell (2016).
Sacred Heart of Jesus (R.C.,
on Preston New Road. Interior
view. SD 667 284.
Both © Mike Berrell (2016).
St. Alban (R.C.) on
Lark Hill. Three interiors -
3. SD 688 286.
All © Mike Berrell (2016).
St. Anne (R.C.) on Prince's Street. SD 678 277. ©
Philip Kapp. Interior view, © Mike Berrell (2013).
St. Bartholomew (now
disused) at Ewood. © Peter Morgan. This church has been replaced by another of
the same name. SD
678 258. © Philip Kapp.
St. Francis at
Feniscliffe. © John Balaam (2013). Link.
St. James. SD 681 293.
© Philip Kapp.
The former St. John, now St. John's
Centre, used for housing a variety of organisations (Citizens Advice Bureau, etc.). SD
683 284. © Philip Kapp.
St. John Vianney (R.C.,
on Livesey Branch Road.
SD 664 256. © Philip Kapp.
Another view, and an
interior, both © Mike Berrell
St. Joseph (R.C., 1982)
on Audley Range, Audley. Two interior views -
2. SD 693 277. All
© Mike Berrell (2016).
St. Jude on Accrington Road.
SD 700 282. © Steve Houldsworth (2007), and reproduced by kind permission of Fr.
Martin Daniels, and the good offices of Kevin Price.
St. Michael and All Angels
on Palm Street. Another view.
Kevin advises that a previous church was demolished, and this is the
replacement. SD 690 291. Both © Kevin Price (2012).
site of St. Peter, shown here from the west gate, looking along the axis of the church to the east gate. Built as a Chapel-of-Ease and consecrated in 1821,
it was demolished in 1976. There are plans to drive a road through the site - this is the
official planning document. There is
an illustration of the church here. SD 680 277. © Howard Richter (2014).
St. Peter in Chains
(R.C.) on Jessel Street, Mill Hill.
Another view, and
an interior. SD 6678
2680. Both © Mike Berrell (2016).
St. Silas. SD 667 285. © Paul
St. Stephen at Little
Harwood. SD 695 292. © Philip Kapp.
St Teresa of the Child
Jesus (R.C.) on Bentley Street, Intack. SD 7025 2823. © Mike Berrell (2016).
Salvation Army Citadel. © Rob
The former Spiritualist Hall on
Freckleton Street. Evidently much altered since its use as a church, it seems to have been a school originally, changing use sometime between 1848 and 1893.
Date of closure is uncertain, though likely to have been on or about 1905 when the new Temple (so called on the 1911 OS map) was built. (see Blackburn
Spiritualist Church, above). SD 6804 2774. © Howard Richter (2014).
Strict Baptist Chapel,
now in commercial use. The date-stone
announces Particular ...... Chapel A. D. 1764. Re-built 1930. ©
Gerard Charmley (2016).
Withnell Fold Methodist
Church. SD 615 231. © Philip Kapp.
A solitary spire - can you name the church to which
it belonged? SD 689 277. © Philip Kapp.
Kevin Gibson has kindly been in
touch to inform me that the spire stands on St. Peter Street, so is very likely
to be St. Peter. My appreciation to Pauline Hodkinson for confirming that this
is indeed St. Peter, which was built in 1821 and demolished in 1976. She further
advises that the local council wants to demolish the spire and build a road over
the site, which still has an adjacent graveyard. There is a lot of local
However, Rob Wild has also advised that the spire is Chapel Street
Congregational Church, on the corner of Freckleton Street and Chapel Street, and
that St. Peter stood to the left of where the photo was taken from. He further
advises that the graveyard of St. Peter (not visible) is the one under threat,
not the one in the photo.
Rob's comments are confirmed by the
Genuki entry, which describes the church as Chapel Street Independent Church
(1777), which later became Congregational, and closed "before 1975".
The Sunday School Hall
stands nearby, and it was used for a time by the U.R.C. after the church was
demolished. The spire of the church can be seen behind.
© Gerard Charmley (2016).