The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Chilwell Road Methodist Church (1901-2). Another view. Howard advises that this is the successor to three previous chapels, all located on Chapel Street (circa SK 529 368) - all trace of the chapels, and indeed of the street, has gone, re-developed in the 1960's. The earliest was a Methodist New Connexion of 1805, sold to the Wesleyans in 1821, who, in response to swelling numbers, built the second and third in 1825 and 1830. SK 527 366. Both © Howard Richter (2013). Link.
The former General Baptist Chapel (1806, enlarged 1836 - date-stone) on Nether Street, now a nursery. A blue plaque commemorates John Clifford - more on him here, here, and a newspaper report on his receiving the Companion of Honour award, here. SK 531 366. All © Howard Richter (2014).
Hope Together Church on Boundary Road and Wensor Avenue was built as Lenton Abbey Congregational Church, which opened in 1933 and closed in 2010, by which time it was Boundary Road U.R.C. Four additional views - 1, 2, 3, 4 - the latter showing a filled-in doorway. SK 528 377. All © Howard Richter (2014). Link1. Link2 (see page 2). News item. Link3 - which says that the Congregational Church existed for four years before they moved into the this building - was this on the same site?.
The unusually plain Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, on Wilmot Lane and Robinet Road. From old maps it was built between 1956 and 1970. Another view. For some reason the church sign has some text in an oriental script. SK 526 362. All © Howard Richter (2011).
A Methodist New Connexion Chapel stood on Chapel Street. Having sold their first chapel to the Wesleyans (see the Chilwell Road Methodist Church entry, above), they built a second in 1836 at about SK 528 368. Photographs are available here, at bottom. This link says that it was declared redundant and sold in 1947, and it was finally demolished in the 1960's, after spending the intervening years in a variety of commercial uses.
What is today the Oasis Christian Centre (Elim Pentecostal, since 1981) on Willoughby Street was opened in 1913 as Gospel Mission Hall (foundation stone and date-stone for 1912). Two additional views - 1, 2, the latter showing the 1986 extension. This website has an old photo of it when it was still the Gospel Hall; it has no obvious relation to the current building, so the building clearly has a complex history. Howard has been in contact with Sharon Asquith at the Centre, who has confirmed that the old photo shows what was an old malt house, which stood on Union Street at about SK 5300 3697, and which was converted in 1888 to form the Mission's first premises. An extension was added in 1912 (end-to-end), with the entrance on Willoughby Street. The original malt house was finally demolished in 1985, and the modern extension was built in its place. SK 530 370. All © Howard Richter (2014). Link.
Our Lady of the Assumption (R.C., 1954). Two further views - 1, 2. SK 527 369. The preceding church stood between Church Lane and Styring Street at about SK 529 367. All © Howard Richter (2012). Link.
The Wesleyan Reform Chapel of 1853 stood on Willoughby Street, close to the current Oasis Christian Centre (see above). A terrace of modern housing stands on the site, though the church stood somewhat closer to the road. Nottingham Archives hold documentation relating to this chapel, some under the name of Willoughby Street United Methodist Free Church, the re-naming occurring after the union of 1857. These documents also reveal that the building was sold in 1969, though when services ended was unclear, as was the date of demolition. Further enquiry via Beeston Library has established the dates of 1964 for closure, demolition following in 1966. This conflicts with the sale date of 1969 mentioned earlier, unless this refers to the site. SK 570 370. © Howard Richter (2014).
Wollaton Road Methodist Church, also home to Nottingham Immanuel Fellowship (Chinese) - link, in Chinese script. Originally Primitive Methodist, the present building was erected in 1882 on the site of a Particular Baptist building which the P.M.'s had bought in 1853. Three further views - 1, 2, 3. SK 527 370. All © Howard Richter (2012). Link.
17 February 2018
© Steve BulmanContact Details