The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Bedminster and Bedminster Down, Bristol
Bedminster Down Church (Independent Evangelical) on Bishopsworth Road had a very short life. Originally the Sunday School for the nearby Zion Methodist Chapel (see below), Bedminster Down Church was founded in 2010. The congregation joined with Headley Park Church, and their building was closed by 2014, and subsequently converted into flats. The school itself dates from the early 1900's, but it's uncertain how much of the original fabric remains. ST 57451 69964. © Carole Sage (2016).
The former Bedminster Down Gospel Hall on Langford Road was built before 1949, and has recently been converted into flats. ST 56946 69449. © Carole Sage (2016).
Bedminster Methodist Church is on British Road and Clyde Terrace. Built in the 1970's (or thereabouts) adjacent to Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Church, which it replaced. Ebenezer was demolished a few years later, and a block of flats built on the site. ST 58214 71426. © Carole Sage (2016).
Bedminster Road Gospel Hall (aka Bristol City Mission and New Hall) was also known as Parson Street Gospel Hall, because of the proximity of Parson Street Railway Station. Another view. ST 58149 70698. Both © Carole Sage (2016).
Bedminster SNU Spiritualist Church on Chessell Street and Ruby Street. The church moved here from Hebron Chapel (see below) in 2002. ST 57788 71181. © Carole Sage (2016).
Before WWI, Bethany Pentecostal League Mission Room met in a room in 97 Ruby Street (the end of terrace). ST 57701 71094. © Carole Sage (2016).
A Bible Christian Mission Hall once stood on Princess Street. Founded in 1855, it closed in 1879, and at some point a larger building replaced it, a Friends' Meeting House. The whole area was severely damaged by bombing, and although the Meeting house had survived more or less unscathed, the entire area was demolished and re-developed as a Trading Estate. The site of both now lies beneath an access road. ST 59249 71828. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of Bristol City Mission on Catherine Mead Street. Other than a mention in a 1914 directory, its history is obscure. ST 58654 71695. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of Bristol City Mission on Stillhouse Lane. A warehouse now stands on the site. ST 58928 71822. © Carole Sage (2016).
On this site on British Road once stood a British School Room, which the Reform Wesleyans leased for their services between 1847 and 1855. The site is now housing, known as Victoria Mews. ST 58175 71333. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of Ebenezer Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on British Road, It was replaced by Bedminster Methodist Church (see above) on an adjoining site. The chapel was replaced by housing (Clyde Court), and both building are shown in the photo. ST 58238 71430. © Carole Sage (2016). An illustration of the church is available here, from the Loxton Collection.
The site of Essex Street Primitive Methodist Chapel (Bethesda), now a staff car park for the Argos store on the main shopping street. Founded in 1871, the building survived (or one with the same footprint) until at least 1946. ST 58579 71647. © Carole Sage (2016).
Hare Krishna Centre on North Street. ST 58063 71466. © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
The former Hebron Methodist Chapel on Hebron Road. It's date-stone says 1853, but internet sources say 1854. OS maps indicate that it was United Free Methodist in the 1880's. Closed in 1968, it was subsequently taken over by the Bedminster Spiritualist Church. They in their turn left, and the building was subsequently converted into housing. This is supposedly the burial place of Princess Caraboo, for whom see here. Another view. ST 58108 71369. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Link1. Link2. The very brief Grade II listing.
The site of Holy Cross (R.C., 1854-72), which stood on Bedminster Parade at ST 58842 71864. It was also known as the New Roman Catholic Chapel, and it was replaced in 1874 by a newly built chapel on Victoria Street in Redcliffe, for which see Holy Cross Chapel on the Redcliffe page. The site is now occupied by a library, cafe and offices. © Carole Sage (2016). The Loxton Collection has an illustration - it's the less ornate building on the right. When he made his drawing the church had been closed for several decades, and the building was in use as a library at that time, the predecessor to the present library.
The former John Millard Memorial Church (United Methodist, 1900) on Garnet Street and Chessel Street was a daughter church to Hebron Methodist Chapel (see above). Today it's used by the Bedminster Boys' Brigade and the Girls' Brigade. ST 57787 71118. © Carole Sage (2016).
Lam Rim Buddhist Centre on Victoria Place. ST 58274 71486. © Carole Sage (2016).
Monica Wills Chaplaincy is in Monica Wills House (an "urban retirement village"), on West Street. ST 58234 71202. © Carole Sage (2016).
A Mission Hall once stood on Princess Street at ST 59249 71828, but the site has been redeveloped. Can you supply a photo?
The former Mount Zion Independent Methodist Church (1890-2011) on Victor Road has been redeveloped as flats. Another view. ST 58119 71186. Both © Carole Sage (2018). Link.
Hereabouts stood Paul Street Independent Chapel, founded by the Bristol City Mission Society in 1842. Date of closure is not presently known, nor is the exact site, but it must lie under the industrial buildings shown in the photo. Circa ST 58745 71503. © Carole Sage (2016).
Philip Street Chapel (Independent Evangelical) was formerly a Baptist Church, opened in 1861. ST 58826 71720. The congregation had previously met (1855-61) in a Temperance Hall at the junction of Bedminster Parade and Regent Street (now Regent Road). Demolished soon after WWI, a library was built on the site, and the same building is in use today as an Art Gallery. ST 58829 71845. Both © Carole Sage (2016). A drawing by Loxton shows the Temperance Hall to the left of Holy Cross church (for which, see above).
The Railway Gospel Temperance Hall used to stand on Mead Street, near Temple Meads Railway station. This may be the same building as the Christadelphian Meeting Hall mentioned in some sources as being on Mead Street. The Railway Temperance congregation later moved into a railway workshop building to use as their Gospel Hall, between the 1880's and early 1900's. The Mission was still standing in 1946, but dates of closure and demolition are, at present, unknown. The site now lies beneath an industrial building and car park. ST 59714 72085. © Carole Sage (2016).
The site of the former Redcliffe Crescent Bible Christian Chapel stood on York Road at ST 59244 71908. It later became a United Methodist Chapel. The building was in a ruinous state after World War Two, and the site and adjoining land was later developed for flats. © Carole Sage (2016).
Refresh on East Street is a faith based charity, and the premises include a cafe, and prayer and counselling rooms. ST 58579 71590. © Carole Sage (2016).
St. Aldhelm on Chessell Street. Another view. ST 57649 71289. Both © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
The former St. Dunstan on Bedminster Down Road, now in commercial use. Originally a school, it was Bedminster Down Mission by 1892 (from St. Aldhelm's on Chessell Street, Bedminster). At some point it was re-named as St. Dunstan, and it was closed in the early 1990's. Two further views - 1, 2. ST 57683 70596. All © Carole Sage (2016). A rotatable and walk-through view.
The site of St. John the Baptist on St. John's Street. Another victim of WWII bombing, it was eventually demolished in the 1960, and a park created on the site. Parch marks in the grass mark out the lines of the walls. For the font, see St. Mary on the Redcliffe page. ST 58485 71392. Both © Carole Sage (2016). It was rather a handsome church, as this post-war photo shows. The Parish Room which stood on St. John's Street and Norfolk Place was used for worship for a time after the church was damaged during the war. The site is now a service yard at the back of a factory. ST 58423 71417. © Carole Sage (2016).
St. John's Mission Room used to stand on Whitheouse Lane. Mentioned in a 1914 directory, the site is now occupied by a stonemasons business. ST 58897 71532. © Carole Sage (2016).
St. Luke stood on York Road at ST 59349 71925. Built in 1860-1, it was closed in 1968 and demolished soon after, and flats were erected on the site. © Carole Sage (2016). Photographs of the exterior and interior can be seen here.
St. Oswald (1928) on Cheddar Grove. Two additional views - 1, 2. ST 57143 69704. All © Carole Sage (2016). Link.
Salem Chapel (Free Evangelical) on Trafalgar Terrace. It was originally a Methodist Free Church, founded in 1892. Another view. ST 57513 70527. Both © Carole Sage (2016).
Salvation Army Citadel (founded in 1914) on Dean Lane. Rob Kinnon-Brettle advises that the Bedminster Corps (Bristol No. 2 Corps.) was founded in 1881, with premises in West Street and Leicester Street, before the Dean Lane Citadel opened. ST 58306 71593. © Carole Sage (2016). A newspaper item reports its closure in 2019, and that it "moved to a new home in Padstow Road in Knowle West" - presumably the Salvation Army Hall mentioned on the Knowle page.
A Salvation Army Meeting Room was standing on Stillhouse Lane on or before 1902. Closed before 1925 (and probably earlier), perhaps in response to the opening of the S. A. Citadel on Dean Lane, not far away, in 1914. Charity Offices now occupy the site. Circa ST 58983 71886. © Carole Sage (2016). Rob Kinnon-Brettle suggests that this was probably a Slum Post, which he knows was on Stillhouse Lane from 1900 -1926. There had been an earlier one at 16 West Grove from 1885-7, 116 Cheltenham Road in the 1920's, and later, what had been the Willway Tavern on Willway Street was a Slum Post from 1933-46.
Of Serjeant Street Congregational Chapel, only one wall remains. ST 58998 71814. © Carole Sage (2016).
South Bristol Christian Centre on Churchlands Road. This post-war prefab building is on the site of West Street Baptist Church, which was badly damaged by bombing in WWII. Jubilee Church also meet here, having previously met in Mount Zion I.M. Church (for which, see above). Another view. ST 57969 70928. Both © Carole Sage (2016).
South Bristol Crematorium Chapel on Bridgwater Road. ST 566 698. © Mike Berrell (2014).
The former Tabernacle Hall on Palmyra Road is now in commercial use. It used to be associated with the East Street Baptist Church (see above). Another view. ST 57724 70927. Both © Carole Sage (2016).
United Reformed Church on West Street and South Stanley Street. Two further view - 1, 2. The original building is shown in the first photo - this dates from circa 1907, and was built as Congregational. The church extended both before and after WWII, and as Carol observes, it looks as though the church absorbed adjacent industrial buildings, rather than building from scratch. ST 58051 71009. All © Carole Sage (2016).
A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (founded 1851) stood on Spring Street Place, behind St. Luke's. It seems to have closed before WWI, but the same building (or one with the same footprint) survived until after WWII. The site is now occupied by a car park and bin store. ST 59372 71916. © Carole Sage (2016).
The former Zion Congregational Chapel on Coronation Road and Bedminster Parade was founded in 1829. It was also apparently known at one point as The Church of the Vow. Later U.R.C., it had closed by 1984, and is now in use as offices. Another view. ST 58917 71986. Both © Carole Sage (2016).
Chapel on Bishopsworth Road was founded in 1850, and closed in 2008
and sold in 2010. It's now in use as a community cafe, art and events
space. At left can be seen the former Sunday School (see also the entry
for Bedminster Down Church, above). ST 57437 69942.
© Carole Sage (2016).
04 March 2023
© Steve Bulman