The Churches of Britain and Ireland
The Abbey Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, and the West Front. ST 749 647. Both from old postcards, Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern night-time view. © David Roberts. And the West Front. Note particularly the famous "Stairway to Heaven". © Roger Hopkins. A nice view from the higher ground to the east of the city. © Roger Hopkins (2010). Another view. © Alex Parker. Link.
Bethel Baptist Chapel on St. John's Road. © Janet Gimber (2015).
Chapel of the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases on Parsonage Lane. © Janet Gimber (2015).
Christ Church on Julian Road. © Janet Gimber (2015).
Christadelphian Hall on New King Street. © Janet Gimber (2015).
First Church of Christ, Scientist, in a former Temperance Hall dated 1847. © Steve Bulman.
First Spiritual Centre on Old Orchard Street. ST 751 646. © Andrew Ross.
Hillhaven, a Salvation Army Goodwill Centre on Oldfield Road. It was in use until the 1980's. © Rob Brettle.
Hope Chapel, off Lower Borough Walls. Over the door it says "United Methodist Free Churches". © Janet Gimber (2015).
Manvers Gospel Hall on Old Orchard Street. ST 751 646. © Andrew Ross.
The former Moravian Church on Charlotte Street is now in secular use. © Janet Gimber (2015).
The site of New King Street Wesleyan Methodist Church is now occupied by a community centre. The church was destroyed by bombing in WWII. A picture of the bomb-damaged church itself can be seen here. © Janet Gimber (2015).
The site of St. Andrew on Julian Road. The church was destroyed by bombing in WWII, though the ruins were only removed in about 1960. © Janet Gimber (2015).
St. Andrew on Julian Road dates from the early 1960's. It now seems to be part of St. Andrew's primary school. © Janet Gimber (2015).
What is now St. James Memorial Hall, off Lower Borough Walls, and now in use as an arts centre, has every appearance of having been a church previously. Can you provide any history? © Janet Gimber (2015).
The former St. James Mission Church on Corn Street. Now in use as a theatre. © Janet Gimber (2015).St. John the Evangelist (R.C.). © Steve Bulman. An old postcard view, from Reg Dosell's Collection. Link.
St. Luke at Bloomfield. ST 745 634. © Steve Bulman.
The former St. Mark, now a Community Centre, across the river from the railway station. © Steve Bulman.
St. Mary (R.C.) on Julian Road, consecrated in 1881. Another view. Before the church was built, the congregation apparently met in this building (also on Julian Road), originally built for indoor tennis. All © Janet Gimber (2015). Link.
St. Mary Magdalen at Holloway. ST 747 641. © Steve Bulman.
St. Michael with St. Paul. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. The postcard caption just says St. Michael. A modern view. © Steve Bulman. Another view, and an interior view, both © Roger Hopkins (2010). Link.
Society of Friends (Quakers). © Steve Bulman.
Former Swedenborgian Church ("New Church, 1844"), now occupied by accountants. © Andrew Ross.
U.R.C. on Argyle Street. ST 752 649. © Andrew Ross.
and halls, on Grove Street.
© Janet Gimber (2015).
15 February 2018
© Steve Bulman