The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Lots of Bacup churches here.
Central Methodist Church on Burnley Road, was previously the Waterside Methodist Free Church, built in 1897, but earlier churches are known to have existed on the same site. SD 865 232. © John Purdy. Two interior views - 1, 2 - both © Mike Berrell.
The former Ebenezer Baptist Church, demolished in the 1960's, was built in 1868. The congregation moved to Trinity Baptist Church. From Nigel Birch's Collection.
This drawing of the now-demolished Irwell Terrace Baptist Chapel is held by Trinity Baptist Church. Reproduced by kind permission of the church; photographed by Mike Berrell. SD 869 230.
The former Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Chapel opened in 1841. From Nigel Birch's Collection.
Providence Chapel, founded in 1846 as the Providence Particular Baptists. Enlarged in 1851, re-built in 1911, it was closed in 1956. SD 872 231. © John Purdy. Compare with this old photo which shows it before the right-hand extension was added. From Nigel Birch's Collection.
The former St. Saviour at New Line. Another view. Closed in 2007, it was for sale in 2011 (link). SD 866 219. Both © Mike Berrell. Grade II listed. St. Saviour's School was in the Unknown section for a long time. An old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection, identified by Colin Waters. Link (scroll down the page).
Spiritualist Church on South Street. SD 870 230. © Mike Berrell.
Thorn Wesleyan Church on Alma Street. SD 867 225. © Nigel Birch.
The former Todmorden Road Wesleyan Methodist Church, at Sharneyford, now a private residence. SD 884 243. © Nigel Birch.
The former Wesley Place Chapel (1866) was demolished 100 years later. From Nigel Birch's Collection.
25 October 2015
© Steve Bulman