The Churches of Britain and Ireland
|Audenshaw, Greater Manchester
The former Guide Lane Methodist Church, in Guide Lane, was originally the Guide Lane Wesleyan Chapel. SJ 927 974. © Mike Berrell. A close-up of the figure above the door, and the defaced sign. © Mike Berrell (2011). Allan Arrowsmith has advised (2011) that the building is now in use as children's' day nursery, and that a new church (ecumenical) has been built on the site of the demolished Red Hall Methodist Church on Audenshaw Road (see below), and that this has replaced Guide Lane and Red Hall Methodist Churches, and the U.R.C. (listed below).
The demolished Red Hall Methodist Church (Methodist New Connexion, 1876) which stood on Audenshaw Road. SJ 917 972. It succeeded an older chapel (1783) at a different location (SJ 914 970), which had to be demolished to make way for a reservoir. This old drawing of the chapel is from a 1982 bi-centenary flower festival programme ("Red Hall, Our Heritage") belonging to Allan Arrowsmith, though there is no copyright information. © Allan Arrowsmith. A date-stone commemorating Red Hall Chapel was built into the reservoir dam. © Mike Berrell (2015). See also the entry above, and the first Trinity Church (below). Link.
St. Paul (R.C.), on Stockport Road, Guide Bridge. SJ 926 977. © Mike Berrell. Allan Arrowsmith has advised (2011) that this church is now closed, and was originally a cinema.
This photo of Trinity Church on Audenshaw Road was taken in 2006; the building has since been demolished. © Rob Brettle (2006). This photo is evidently of the same building as Red Hall Methodist Church (above), as Mike Berrell has pointed out. This Trinity must be on the same site as the Trinity Church in the next entry, as the gateposts from the earlier building still survive. So was Red Hall Methodist Church re-named as Trinity Church at some point?
The new Trinity Church Audenshaw (2008, Methodist and U.R.C. Church Partnership) was built on the site of the above church. Two interior views - 1, 2, and the dedication plaque. Some of the retained headstones have been laid flat. SJ 916 972. All © Mike Berrell (2011). Link.
The former U.R.C. on Bridge Street and Mount Pleasant Road, now in secular use. SJ 927 974. © Mike Berrell.
25 June 2018
© Steve Bulman