The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Christian Fellowship meet at St. John's Church Hall on Auction Close. SK 1805 4698. © Mike Berrell (2015).
Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses on School Lane. SK 177 463. © Mike Berrell (2015).
St. Oswald on Church Street. From an old postcard in Steve Bulman's Collection. A modern view. © James Murray. Interior view. © Aidan McRae Thomson. Another view, and two interiors - 1, 2, all © Mike Berrell (2015). The list of vicars commences in 1200. © Mike Berrell (2015). SK 176 464. Link.
The former Zion Congregational Chapel (thanks to Janet Gimber for the identification, and this link). Now "The Chantry", the building beside it has a sign saying "Congregational School". © James Murray.
Although previously listed as a possible former church, Janet Gimber has advised that this was built as St. John's Hall (named after St. John's Street, on which it stands), and has never been a church. ca. SK 181 467. However, more recently Rosemary Lockie has been in touch, passing on the fruits of her researches into this building. Less importantly, she advises that this building was used by the Jehovah's Witnesses from circa 1994 - 2007. More significant is that it was built in 1858 as St. John's Free Congregational Church, and only later called St. John's Hall once the Congregationalists left to join with Sion Chapel on Derby Road. She also passes on some information from a booklet called "Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses" which says that the C19 build was the addition of a frontage to an even older building, originally a Presbyterian Chapel, and later a Countess of Huntingdon Methodist Connexion Chapel. Rosemary is not wholly convinced by this - and would welcome confirmation or refutation of any of this complicated history. © Steve Bulman.
17 February 2018
© Steve Bulman