The Churches of Britain and Ireland

  Alston, Cumbria

Alston on Wikipedia.

Cumbria County History - Alston provided many of the dates.


The former Congregational Chapel (1804-1977) on The Butts. It was in use as a gallery, but has more recently been converted to residential use. Another view. NY 7190 4662. Both
Alan Marsden (2021).

Friends Meeting House (1732) on Front Street. NY 7197 4636. Steve Bulman. Link. Grade II listed.

A Primitive Methodist Chapel shows on old maps on what is now the A689, heading east out of the town. The two tallest terraced houses seen here on a Streetview in 2011 are on the site of the chapel - whether anything survives of the chapel is so far uncertain. NY 7212 4633. Link.

St. Augustine of Canterbury on Front Street. NY 7183 4654. Steve Bulman. Another view of St. Augustine, and an interior view, both Alan Blacklock. Ian Thirlwell has sent in some old B&W photos - which date from 1960. 1, 2, 3. Link. Its grade II listing dates it to 1870, on a medieval site.

The former St. Paul's Methodist Church on Front Street is marked on older maps as Wesleyan. It's dated to 1864 to "before 1990's" here, although Kevin Price believes it was still open in 1991. The same source advises of two earlier Wesleyan chapels of 1760 and 1797, the latter on Back o' the Burn. NY 7196 4631. Alan Marsden (2021). According to the town tourist leaflet (available here), the 1797 chapel survives, and it can be seen on a Streetview from 2011.

St. Wulstan (R.C.) on Kings Arms Lane, as seen by the Streetview camera in 2009. This source says that the congregation dates from 1953, and that the building is considerably older, having at one time been the town gaol. Circa NY 718 466.

 

 

 

 
   

Home

24 December 2023

Steve Bulman

Contact Details