The Churches of Britain and Ireland
Churches at Church.
The Baptist Church (1874) on Cannon Street closed in 2006, and is now in residential use. The congregation now meet at Trinity Community Church (formerly known as Christ Church) on Rough Lee Road. SD 758 285. © Philip Kapp. Another view, © Chris Stafford (2013). Grade II listed. News item on closure.
Of Barnes Street Baptist Church, nothing survives, although what were the schoolrooms remain in use as a small garage business. © Gerard Charmley (2017).
The former Blackburn Road Baptist Chapel (1835) was succeeded by the Baptist Church (above). © Gerard Charmley (2017).
Chapel at Accrington Cemetery and Crematorium on Burnley Road. The cemetery (and presumably the chapel) dates from 1864; the crematorium from 1956. Two interior views - 1, 2. SD 770 298. All © Mike Berrell (2013). Link.
Charter Hall Saheli Centre, possibly a former Salvation Army building, on Charter Street. SD 754 284. © Mike Berrell (2014).
Christ Church - see Trinity Community Church, below.
Emmanuel Pentecostal Church on Oxford Street. See also the Unitarian Church, below. SD 756 287. © Mike Berrell (2014).
First Church of Christ, Scientist on Burnley Road. SD 765 293. © Mike Berrell (2013).
Ghousia Razvia Jamia Masjid Mosque (Sufi - Bareilvi) on Higher Antley Street. SD 757 280. © Mike Berrell (2014).
Oasis Church and River of Life Christian Fellowship on Blackburn Road. SD 753 286. © Mike Berrell (2014). Gerard Charmley advises that, despite appearances, the church meets in what was originally Zion Strict Baptist church, which was later converted into housing. Link.
Raza Jamia Masjid Mosque on Blackburn Road. SD 757 286. © Mike Berrell (2014).
St. Anne (R.C.) on Cobham Road. The congregation was founded as a Mission in 1897, and the present church built in 1925. The building was finally consecrated in 1944 - plaque. Three interiors - 1, 2, 3. SD 766 284. All © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
St. Joseph (R.C.) on Belgarth Road. SD 762 293. Another view, and three interiors - 1, 2, 3, and a window. The sanctuary windows (behind the altar) are explained on this plaque. All © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
The former St. Matthew (Free Church of England) on Portland Street is now a community centre. SD 753 287. © Mike Berrell (2014).
Salem Strict Baptist Chapel on Frederick Street, founded in 1884. © Gerard Charmley (2017).
Trinity Community Church, previously Christ Church (1840) on Rough Lee Road. A Local Ecumenical Project (Anglican and Baptist), meeting here and at the Woodnook Centre on Royds Street (see next entry). Two interiors - 1, 2. SD 763 280. All © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
Trinity Community Church, Woodnook Centre on Royds Street. A Local Ecumenical Project (Anglican and Baptist), meeting here and at the former Christ Church on Rough Lee Road (see previous entry). SD 761 281. © Mike Berrell (2014). Link.
A Unitarian Church (1859) stood on Oxford Street at SD 756 287. It was demolished in 1966, and replaced by a pre-fab. Following closure, it was bought by the Elim Church, and now serves as Emmanuel Pentecostal Church (see above). From an old postcard in Mike Berrell's Collection.
The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Richmond Road, now a restaurant. SD 752 279. © Mike Berrell (2014).
Former church on Higher Antley Street. The date-stone says 1907. Old maps first show this as a Sunday School, later a Congregational Chapel, and later yet as Higher Antley Children's Church. SD 756 280. © Mike Berrell (2014).
10 September 2017
© Steve Bulman